PDC/Cozumel Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,
planning a weeklong trip to Cozumel/PDC this fall. I'd like to spend a couple days in PDC for ceynote diving and dive Cozumel as well. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.
What dive operators in PDC would you recommend for a newbie ceynote diver? Should I bring my dry suit, or is a 3mm suit good enough?
thanks
Gil

People's temperature tolerance varies a lot. However, I think a full 3mm suit would probably be enough for most people year-round in Cozumel -- though some are always cold and many people just dive in swimsuits and t-shirts (and many use 3mm shorties).

However, I will say that I was kind of glad I had a 5mm on when diving in cenotes, as they run a bit cooler than the Caribbean. Back then I only had a 5mm as a jack of all trades, master of none. If I were splitting time between Cozumel and Cenotes today, I might bring my 3mm full suit and my 3mm vest to add on top for cenotes. That's my personal preference -- YMMV.

in PDC contact matt at tankha. for a suit, many will be ok in a full 3mm if it is well fitted. but some will het cold. adding a hood makes a big difference.

Hi there!
Cenotes are usually around 23 degrees (celsius) and the dives tend to be shorter than ocean dives - usually around 30 minutes. If you dive one with a halocline, water tends to be warmer beneath it.

What that means is very personal, of course. I am fine with a 2.5 mil, but usually add a thin hooded vest for added comfort. I have, however, seen guys in a shorty and even one with no exposure protection at all once - which gets a "hell no" from me.

As for the dive shop, I use Diversland. Dimi and Pat there are super fun to dive with.

Have a great trip, and enjoy Playa!!

Hi everyone,
planning a weeklong trip to Cozumel/PDC this fall. I'd like to spend a couple days in PDC for ceynote diving and dive Cozumel as well. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.
What dive operators in PDC would you recommend for a newbie ceynote diver? Should I bring my dry suit, or is a 3mm suit good enough?
thanks
Gil

Definitely CenoteXperience. Great dive op in PDC. Very knowledgeable of the cenotes. Excellent divers. Dove with them in August 2021.

Martin with Cenote Xperience is my choice for several years now. He is one of the best divers I have ever dove with. I can dive my Deep 6 3 mil with a hood and be fine, but it's warmer than any other 3 mil I have dove. They recommend a 5 mil minimum. CX has shortys to wear over your 3 mil as well as 5 mil full suits. The Cenote water is cool enough for me to hate jumping in, but one the suit does it thing, I'm comfortable. If you have a comfortable hood, it makes all the difference in the world. Dives run 45 minutes to an hour.

It also depends on how many days and dives your are doing. Cold is cumulative. You may be fine for 2 dives in a day, but cold as hell for the third dive. I usually dive the balmy warm waters of Cozumel and hop the ferry over for a day of cenotes about mid week. The older I get, the more I HATE being cold.

There really is no answer to your question about wet/dry. A drysuit with thin undergarments would be bulkier to travel with, but if you get cold easy, may be the ticket. A decent 3 mil with a shorty over it would be fine for me with 5 mil booties and a hood, A deep 6 3 mil and a hood works but I do get a little cold on a third dive, but 3 Cenote dives is a lot for me anymore, especially if there is a walk or stairs to get to.

Cenotes are a lovem or hatem deal. I'm hooked and won't go to Cozumel without a day of Cenote diving.

Safe travels,
Jay

Martin with Cenote Xperience is my choice for several years now. He is one of the best divers I have ever dove with. I can dive my Deep 6 3 mil with a hood and be fine, but it's warmer than any other 3 mil I have dove. They recommend a 5 mil minimum. CX has shortys to wear over your 3 mil as well as 5 mil full suits. The Cenote water is cool enough for me to hate jumping in, but one the suit does it thing, I'm comfortable. If you have a comfortable hood, it makes all the difference in the world. Dives run 45 minutes to an hour.
It also depends on how many days and dives your are doing. Cold is cumulative. You may be fine for 2 dives in a day, but cold as hell for the third dive. I usually dive the balmy warm waters of Cozumel and hop the ferry over for a day of cenotes about mid week. The older I get, the more I HATE being cold.
There really is no answer to your question about wet/dry. A drysuit with thin undergarments would be bulkier to travel with, but if you get cold easy, may be the ticket. A decent 3 mil with a shorty over it would be fine for me with 5 mil booties and a hood, A deep 6 3 mil and a hood works but I do get a little cold on a third dive, but 3 Cenote dives is a lot for me anymore, especially if there is a walk or stairs to get to.
Cenotes are a lovem or hatem deal. I'm hooked and won't go to Cozumel without a day of Cenote diving.
Safe travels,
Jay

Back
Top Bottom