Pattaya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VolDive

Registered
Reaction score
Im thinking about enrolling in the instructor training program in Pattaya Thailand... for those of you who are familiar with the program, what do you think about it? Also how is Pattaya? A fun city, good diving etc? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks!

Pattaya tends to be faster paced and has the largest adult “entertainment”, not just fast go-carts if that is what you are looking for. l dive it often as it the closest diving from where I live (Bangkok). The wreck diving is good, but vis averages 5-10m. You can get better, but it is rare. Consider the seasons.

October-May, Andamen
June-September, Gulf of Thailand

Other areas in Thailand offer different types of diving with less adult “entertainment”. The diving is fine IMO, but you can find better vis in other areas but you can’t beat the wrecks. My advice is to take two weeks and checkout both sides of the pond before making a choice. Do a search and you will find similar threads as yours with tons of info. PM if you want particular info on Koh Samui. I start my IDC in July and did my DMT in that area last year.

Good luck,

AZ

Last edited:
i guess my idea of a fun city would be good night life (bars, clubs etc.) also any good daytime activites, diving, fishing etc...

im not so worried about having fun, i can usually have a good time anywhere im at... im more interested in other people's opinions about the aquanauts dive school as that would be my first priority for making the trip out there

VolDive,

They are one of several operators in Pattaya (Aquanatus). They tend to have a large amount of DMTs and IDC candidates. Nice boat with good food as well. Mermaid’s is another operation worth looking at if you do select Pattaya. You will find good instruction in many areas, so again check it out in person if you can. Depending on your current cert and how many dives you have factor in how long you will be in any given place. Season is another issue. I would also consider the volume of business the dive operation has, as you need to assist with certain courses. Not having a lot of customers can delay your progress.

Perhaps contacting various operators and arranging to meet the course director would be helpful. In the end you have to pass the same IE regardless of operator you go with. Find something the suits you. A trip to Pattaya, Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Phuket and Phi Phi would be a lot of fun and broaden your view of Thailand. You would also get in some great diving. If you can swing it, do a Similans liveaboard before you leave the LOS.

What time of year are you planning on going? I generally go out to Pattaya about once a month for diving. PM me and perhaps we can meet up for a day of diving.

AZ

VolDive,

Pattaya has most certainly no lack of bars and clubs, although the majority are of a certain night life entertainment style. If that's what you're looking for, it probably won't get any better than Pattaya. besides this, Pattaya has a wide choice of day time activities as well.
It seems that you and Pattaya may be suited for each other.

However, having said this, Arizona makes some good points as well, if you have the time and financial resources, have a bit of a look around Thailand's dive areas and settle for the one that you like best.

Regarding Aquanauts, possibly it's best to do a quick search in the Thailand on them, you'll find out quickly how they're perceived here.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom