Patojo's Dive in Belize -- recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Will be in Ambergris Caye July 29-August 6, and will be staying at the Tides Resort in San Pedro. They have a shop associated with them, Patojo's. Anybody heard about them or dived with them? Recommendations? I'm leaning toward going with Amigos del Mar for diving based on some threads I've read.

Thanks!

Patojo's is a good dive center and it is right out in front of your hotel. if you are interested in other good dive centers you might look at ecologic DIVERS www.ecologicdivers.com or Belize diving Adventures www.belizedivingadventures both cater to smaller groups . You might also look up on PADI's web site to see who they reccommend.

My wife took her OW cert dives with Patojo a many years back and she enjoyed her trip. Very local type of experience though, so if that's what you are looking for, then go for it.

Thanks for the leads/other dive ops.

CBB -- can you expand on "local dive experience"? I read that the shop is owned and operated by a local, and I have no issue with that as long as it's a safe operation with good rental gear. I'm bringing my own gear but my buddy will be renting.

A lot of the dive shops are owned by locals. But they have dive masters and instructors that have passed agency standards be it PADI, NAUI etc. But if you don't like the shop you're diving with, walk down the beach a little ways. There's lots to choose from.

Stayed at the Tides a few years back. As I recall the hotel and dive shop are owned by the same couple, he runs the dive shop and is a very patient teacher - spent a couple of hours on the deck watching him work with a teenager in the pool - was impressed. Went diving a couple of times with them using their rental gear and had a great time. The little bar on the patio is a great place to hang out. Would start with them and if you don't like them there are lots of other choices just down the beach, but I doubt that you will want to.

Just returned from 12 days and had a great time. We used Amigos Del Mar one day but did not like their service. We changed to Ecologic Divers and really enjoyed diving with them. Myself and our 14 year old are new divers (certified last year) and we wanted more attention. From your profile you are very experienced so you may not want the attenion but we enjoyed it. All the DM's are great and the shop gives warm towels and fresh water at the end of each dive. The warm towels are great. We did not do Blue Hole as it is a long boat ride and we prefered to get in more time local. Only my husband could have gone down farther than 80 feet so not worth the $225.00.Everyone we spoke to that did it loved it. All dives are led but we did not mind that. Hope you enjoy you trip. If you want any other information just e-mail me.

This is all great info, everyone, and just what I was expecting. Scubaboard #1....I used to be pretty active on here when I lived in Micronesia but now that I'm back in the States I just lurk on here thinking of the good ole days....It's nice to be back.

From your suggestions, I think I will go the "local" route with Patojo's, leaving my options open for the rest of the stay if needed.

I'm going with 3 friends who don't have too many dives logged but are all good divers, so sounds like they'll enjoy the type of service at Patojo's.

Thanks again!

if your friends need to rent gear, you might go down to ecologic divers and rent from them as they seem to have the newest and best gear on the island. all there BCD 's are weight integrated mares "dragons".

Most of the DM's and instructors on AC are locals, there are a few Gringos. I know Protech has a few gringos on staff.
As stated above if you don't like 1 walk down to the next

Patojo's is a good dive op. On our last trip to A.C. we stayed in a rental house a few doors down from The Tide's. This led to us spending a decent amount of time at their little beach bar. I talked to a few people at the bar that were very pleased with both staying at the tides and diving with patojo's. We did our local dives with Chuck and Robbie's (one dock south of Patojo's). Another very good outfit...pretty sure they have all newer Scuba Pro rental gear. We used Amigo Del Mar for our Turneffe trip..they also did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom