Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Surge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I returned to Golf Ball Reef to get better photos of a nudibranch she found yesterday. We never found it. Conditions had deteriorated overnight, leaving us with brown, sand-filled moving water. Most of the animals were in hiding. I was ready to abort the dive after twenty minutes of searching unsuccessfully for interesting subjects, but finally found a small abalone flopping around on a piece of red algae. I took a few shots, handed it off to Merry and continued searching.

I saw an octopus fleeing one of the rare fish on this reef larger than three inches. I motioned to Merry between shots. I finally got her attention and we switched places. She got what may turn out to be the best photo either of us has ever shot. She will post it soon.

GolfBallReef8_zpsa8ce97bb.jpg

GolfBallReef9_zps20123a8d.jpg

GolfBallReef5_zps11a84b18.jpg

GolfBallReef4_zps88d66d5e.jpg

GolfBallReef7_zps10e41d18.jpg

GolfBallReef6_zpsa52a1795.jpg

GolfBallReef3_zps9ca3cc86.jpg

GolfBallReef2_zps91901474.jpg

GolfBallReef1_zpse801d9f4.jpg

Naked golf ball

Are those EYES on that abalone? Who knew abalone had eyes?

You do realize what kind of expectations you raise, when you write that Merry has taken one of the best photographs of your joint career, right?

Jesus man! That Abalone face portrait is a hell of a capture! :shocked2: Eagerly awaiting Merry's shot :crazyeye:

So, you two were out actually diving instead of at the Show? Hmmm.

Jesus man! That Abalone face portrait is a hell of a capture! :shocked2: Eagerly awaiting Merry's shot :crazyeye:
Kevin Lee took a similar shot a few weeks ago. He told me that when he sees an ab on the edge of a rock he turns the rock slowly, shooting the eyes of the snail while it crawls forward. I've been trying to copy him ever since. This was the first abalone I've seen that wasn't Super glued down to a rock.
Latest SoCal Dives - DiverKevin

---------- Post added June 9th, 2014 at 10:13 AM ----------

So, you two were out actually diving instead of at the Show? Hmmm.
We made our own scuba show. :)

Back
Top Bottom