Paralenz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeganW89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm just curious, has anyone tried out the Paralenz? It's a great idea but last time I tried an "all in one scuba camera" it was the Sealife DC 1400 which I couldn't stand. Most of these seem to be either a good camera which you need a great housing for or underwater safe but not a great camera. Marketing wise Paralenz claims to be both so I'm just curious what actual owners think.

I just got back from some dives in Maui where I used my Paralenz camera. I like it, but I'm really a stills photographer, so maybe not the best judge. I've never used a GoPro. After dealing with housings and batteries for my still camera, I wanted an easy video camera. The Paralenz does not use a housing. It's shaped like a flashlight and I just used the mask mount. I've seen GoPro users stick their cameras onto sticks to get closer to the fish. You may be able to stick-mount the Paralenz also.

The Paralenz has a non-removable rechargeable battery. I ran it for 2 dives each day at 1080p 60fps and still had a little charge left. You should be able to do a partial battery charge between dives with a USB battery pack.

An interesting feature is its digital color correction (DCC) that you can turn on or off. It's essentially a depth compensating red filter. Supposedly it increases the red correction the deeper you go. I have linked 2 videos below. One starts around 80ft, the other 20-30 ft. There should be a depth display in the videos. With a GoPro, people use flip in red filters of fixed intensity. I don't know how well those work when significantly changing depths. In my videos, when you see the light from other diver's flashlights, and the display screen of my still camera, they look red due to the DCC. Everything is a little too red/purple at times, but the colors a closer to reality than the washed out blue that I would have gotten without the color correction.

I also found the depth reading to be 1.7 feet off. I probably need to calibrate the depth, but haven't found the setting.

The controls took a little getting used to. With the camera mounted on my mask, I couldn't see the text display. When turning it ON or OFF, the camera will vibrate, but I think the vibration pattern is the same for ON and for OFF, so to avoid turning it OFF during my dive, so I just turned it ON shortly before each dive and just left it ON throughout.

It worked well for me. It's pricey, but so are the newer GoPros.

Links to my videos:

MEGA
MEGA

upload_2017-11-24_19-41-22.png

Only a couple dives with mine, but like it so far. I have some nice video from two cave dives. I really like the depth/temp readings on the screen.

Only issue so far is that the wifi connection to my iOS devices keeps disconnecting. If can sort that out, I will be a happy camper.

Here is a short video shot me and my dive buddy, who both have this same camera.

Last edited:
So far I've made four shallow west coast shore dives with my Paralenz. Although I don't think that's enough to give it a real recommendation, I can say that I've been very pleased with the videos, and the camera in general. The compact size is great. I just turn it on before entering the water and forget about it. The color correction feature has worked great too.

My only complaint is the instruction manuals and info online is a little sparse. Especially for the mobile app.
But in the end I was able to figure it all out.

I also cracked the front lens on the first dive. I'm not sure how or when it happened, but I may have stepped on the camera while taking off my gear. Fortunately I'd bought a replacement lens earlier, so it was an easy fix, and no permanent damage. So, I'd recommend getting a replacement lens just in case if you're traveling.

I think as more of these cameras get out there and more divers become familiar with them, they'll become very popular.
:thumb:

I’m currently on Maui, using my Paralenz for the first time. I’ve used it on about a dozen dives so far, and I’m still experimenting with the settings. I have it set to 1080P @60FPS, and find that the DCC Blue works well in Maui’s clear shallows, but that I need to turn off the Depth Color Correction on deeper dives, and use my dive light for the best colors. Today I used the white balance at 5600K, but my dive light washed out my subject on close-ups. I have about 10 more dives ahead to try and nail things down.

… but that I need to turn off the Depth Color Correction on deeper dives, and use my dive light for the best colors.
Hi Steve
What happens with DCC at 25-30m? Do you have some sample videos? I'd like to see with and without lights comparison before I decide on a purchase.

Thanks
P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom