Panic won’t let me dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockit31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Did my certification back in January in Monterey. Wasn’t easy for me. Had a bad event early on regulator exchange with buddy. He handed his to me upside down, I grabbed it and suck in a mouthful of seawater. Freaked out and shot to the top. It was only 15 feet but it was a horrifying feeling. I had nothing but anxiety the rest of the check out but managed to get signed off. 7 months later I am finally here in Cozumel to get my first diving trip in. Been trying to get here since April. But you know....
I figured I would be best served by a dive master refresher lesson off the shore before I just jumped on a dive boat. My godson is with me but with no certification and they suit us up and give basic lesson top side and then in we go. I was nervous as all heck and once again was having issue with clearing my left ear. It just won’t pop like the right. We are only down to 25 or 30 feet, I don’t know for sure as my rental depth gauge never left 10 feet. Broken I guess. I am trying my darndest to become comfortable and enjoy the dive but constantly blowing my nose to get left ear to comply. I’m right behind divemaster and my godson behind me when all of a sudden godson accidentally swipes my regulator off my mouth as he’s using his arms to swim. The panic immediately set in and I shot to the top. Divemaster didn’t even know as he was ahead looking for critters for us to see. So rest of this refresher dive was zero fun. I had a problem just going back down to 30 feet and try to enjoy this. I am getting super depressed Back at hotel feeling like a big pussy. Godson is trying to talk me into signing up for boat and after a couple of cocktails and encouragement from other diving strangers, I walk back across the street to do so. I asked for easiest dive and was told it could go to 80 feet. I could hire divemaster as buddy too. I almost handed him my credit card but all I could think about was being 80 feet down and having a panic attack so I chickened out. Now I am super duper depressed watching all these divers living it up having a good old time talking about their dives that day. Godson is still pestering me to sign up and I just can’t. I really really wanted this to be my new hobby and I am in the perfect place to fall in love with diving, but now just feel like I wasted so much money with the training and this trip. There’s nothing else to do here. Cozumel is shutdown pretty good and this resort is boring just laying in pool drinking crappy drinks. Sorry to vent here. Just so sad and I have 4 more days here and just want to go home.

I am sure others will chime in, but you are doing the right thing. If you do not feel comfortable, do not dive. And shame on anyone that pesters you for not going, or making you feel bad. Decisions made underwater can literally make the difference between life and death not just for you, but for your buddy and others in the group.

Also, if the depth gauge was not reading correctly, that is grounds to call the dive immediately, no questions asked.

Do not be depressed or get discouraged- I think you could benefit from more pool time with an instructor. Everyone learns and acquires skills at different rates.

And remember, a bad day on vacation beats a good day at work! :)

Firstly, ditch that dive centre! They have no right taking you to 80ft, let alone your uncertified godson.

Secondly, I'd find a centre that'll take you in the pool first to get your confidence back. Once you've practised removing, retrieving and replacing your regulator a dozen times, I'm sure you'll feel comfortable with it.

Did my certification back in January in Monterey. Wasn’t easy for me. Had a bad event early on regulator exchange with buddy. He handed his to me upside down, I grabbed it and suck in a mouthful of seawater. Freaked out and shot to the top. It was only 15 feet but it was a horrifying feeling. I had nothing but anxiety the rest of the check out but managed to get signed off. 7 months later I am finally here in Cozumel to get my first diving trip in. Been trying to get here since April. But you know....
I figured I would be best served by a dive master refresher lesson off the shore before I just jumped on a dive boat. My godson is with me but with no certification and they suit us up and give basic lesson top side and then in we go. I was nervous as all heck and once again was having issue with clearing my left ear. It just won’t pop like the right. We are only down to 25 or 30 feet, I don’t know for sure as my rental depth gauge never left 10 feet. Broken I guess. I am trying my darndest to become comfortable and enjoy the dive but constantly blowing my nose to get left ear to comply. I’m right behind divemaster and my godson behind me when all of a sudden godson accidentally swipes my regulator off my mouth as he’s using his arms to swim. The panic immediately set in and I shot to the top. Divemaster didn’t even know as he was ahead looking for critters for us to see. So rest of this refresher dive was zero fun. I had a problem just going back down to 30 feet and try to enjoy this. I am getting super depressed Back at hotel feeling like a big pussy. Godson is trying to talk me into signing up for boat and after a couple of cocktails and encouragement from other diving strangers, I walk back across the street to do so. I asked for easiest dive and was told it could go to 80 feet. I could hire divemaster as buddy too. I almost handed him my credit card but all I could think about was being 80 feet down and having a panic attack so I chickened out. Now I am super duper depressed watching all these divers living it up having a good old time talking about their dives that day. Godson is still pestering me to sign up and I just can’t. I really really wanted this to be my new hobby and I am in the perfect place to fall in love with diving, but now just feel like I wasted so much money with the training and this trip. There’s nothing else to do here. Cozumel is shutdown pretty good and this resort is boring just laying in pool drinking crappy drinks. Sorry to vent here. Just so sad and I have 4 more days here and just want to go home.

Where are you staying at? I’ll come dive with just you at first today - we would dive at tiki bar next to Cozumel marine world. Just one on one practicing some skills, you really need to get comfortable in the water.

I’m semi retired, live here. Message me here if you want.

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I am sure you will get other opinions:

In US Naval Aviation there is a term called aeronautically adaptable, which refers to whether someone is psychologically fit to fly, whether they can psychologically deal with the rigors of flight and the aeronautical environment.

In my opinion diving is not for everyone. Diving is a very dangerous activity. That danger and the inherent risks associated with it are mitigated through training and experience, but one must also have some psychological adaptiveness as well. If you consistently panic as soon as something goes awry and your default reaction is to race to the surface then you specifically are putting yourself at risk but are also potentially putting those you are diving with at risk too.

It sucks to be on the receiving end of being told that perhaps diving is not for you, and sucks as well to be in the position to suggest it. But if you are prone to panic and you can't control the urge/desire to head directly to the surface then you are a liability until you fix that within yourself.

Could you become more comfortable in the water and more psychologically adapted to being underwater? That depends on you....how good of a swimmer are you, how comfortable are you with putting your face in the water without a mask, how comfortable do you think you can become with those things. If you are unsure, then you should spend more time on the surface and spend less money on scuba and more money on just being comfortable and in control in the water at the surface and on breath held dives to the bottom of a pool.

It is great, to a point, that diving is so widely available, but for a high risk activity that requires one to be psychologically adaptable to the rigors of the activity and the environment, (and that environment is hostile to our natural ability to survive), I think the standards for entry into diving are awfully low. There is a reason for that...higher standards do not build wealth for training agencies, but that is another discussion all together.

-Z

Where are you staying at? I’ll come dive with just you at first today - we would dive at tiki bar next to Cozumel marine world. Just one on one practicing some skills, you really need to get comfortable in the water.

I’m semi retired, live here. Message me here if you want.
What a great offer! If I was the OP, I'd be all over that like a rash.

Dont go on a 80ft dive when u dont feel it and get panic atacks sometimes.
And even if you panic in shallow water. Pleaasse exhale while going up, if you really have to go up..

I think the best would be to go shallow.
And i mean shallow! 10 ft max.
Take your regulator out. Take it back in.
You need to get used to how it feels.
If you have done it enough you wont be worried if it happens at 80ft and just take it back in.

But do it with an experienced diver, who is ready to give you an octo if something goes wrong.
I think chuckPs offer is really good, message him.

And no need to be ashamed. I called a dive, after we traveled 2h to get there just because i didnt felt it. You can dive another day.
And diving shallow is not bad at all. More light, often more fish. I know some very experienced divers(instructor 5k+ dives) who dont go below 30ft because they like to watch fishis :p

Start shallow and build your way up (in your case down :D ).
Step by step and most important : enjoy it. Diving is about safety and fun.

Firstly, ditch that dive centre! They have no right taking you to 80ft, let alone your uncertified godson.

Secondly, I'd find a centre that'll take you in the pool first to get your confidence back. Once you've practised removing, retrieving and replacing your regulator a dozen times, I'm sure you'll feel comfortable with it.
My godson won’t be able to go on boat. He’s not certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom