Panic Attacks, Nausea, vomiting and dizzy during and after confined water class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illa Amir

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, first of all i would like to let you know that my english arent that good. feel free to ask me if you dont understand or excused for my grammar or anything.

i have to let u know my Health Background and Physical App because during my first confined water class today, i am feeling everything, and it scares me!

66kgs,154cm.
Minor Allergy rhinitis causes post nasal drip (under meds, but do get a health clarification from my ENT doctor to sign up for OWC)
Gastric illness come and go and sometimes do get an acid reflux.

The reason i wanna get an owc cert is because i want to participate in Project Awares Event, saving dolphins and other sea creatures.

Today, i just had my first confined water class. before we start the class the instructor told us, before we start the learning, we need to swim freely (without gears) for 200 meters and floats for 10 mins. During the 200 meters swim, i took almost 20 mins to finish that 200, i somehow stopped and continue swimming and stopped again until i finish 200 mtrs. during that, i find so hard to breathe, tight chest and when i try to breathe for air i felt the breathing is stuck because i felt pain at my ribs. i asked for a time out and i went to the toilet and throw up..go back in the water and continue my 10 mins floating.10 mins later i get so dizzy and felt something is racing towards each other in my tummy and feel wanna throw up again. (i had breakfast earlier not to heavy. not to light)just about time the instructor says 10 mins up. well done. again out of the water and throw up.

After briefing about how to engage with your bcd and the cylinder, we finally get ourself in the water with our gears. during that time i am abit nervous but i can overcome it because we did it at 1mtr depth. during my cw1 i have no problem taking off my reg from my mouth and put it back, exhale water from mouth, except i always get nervous during mask clearing, i somehow pass it, but i dont have confidence in myself clearing mask in salt water. i passed my cw1 and the instructor wants to do the cw2 but i asked him for a time out because i felt like throwing up again and this time every time i burp i get that burning feeling at my throat. (dizzy, feeling like throwing up, burn burping, panic and exhausted)so he said lets take a break for an hour.

during the break, my 3 other friends were having lunches eating rice and all feeling so hungry, but me.. i hardly drink a water, when i drink i feel dizzy and wanna throw up. i told my instructor that i dont think i can continue for cw2 because to me if i cant be comfortable when im out of the water, theres no way i can be ok in the water + with the gears.

but he said i can do it and if i cant continue meaning the other 3 also cannot continue, and i felt so guilty, just because of me, my 3 other friends cant continue their learning. because he said once they have move forward with the learning and im far behind, meaning i cannot join them for our next cw, because they are step ahead me and we cant be in the same group anymore. so i toughen up and say ok.. lets try.

for cw2 we move slightly to deeper depth i think its 3 mtres. we did our giant entry. I passed! but when the instructor asked me to deflate. then the panic attacks came! i did it 4 times and when i get in the water i panic and swim up to the surface, when i come up to the surface the instructor asked me whats wrong (he sounded angry) i told him i cant breathe, when i breathe i feel pain at my ribs. he said i was just being nervous. and asked me to stay calm and relax. 5th attempt, when 3 of my friends have reached bottom.. i deflate and i starts to struggle,1) water entering mask inhale a bit of water thru nose 2) tried to calm myself and breathe but felt pain at right ribs. 3)having hard times with my fins so i decided to come up to the surface and i throw up and i get dizzy so bad.. short of breathe cannot breathe deeply ..tight chest. hands shacking. hold up to the wall and i cried!. i did parasailing, 10km cross country, camping etc i never cried! but today i did! cause i have tried my best, but seems it doesnt work. the assistant instructor were being nice, he came to me and asked me if i am okay, i cannot say anything all i did was shacking my head, and he asked me to get out of the water and get dry.

starts class at 12pm-2pm then rest 1hour continue 3pm-6pm

now is 1:59am the next day, and i still feel dizzy, cannot eat cannot drink, short of breathe, keeps throwing up. when i think of being in the water i starting to feel dizzy.

i know based on my story my main problem is, my panic/nervous/lack of confidence, but what is wrong with this dizzy,throwing up, hard to turn side to side or else i will throw up, if ride a car feels like throwing up, acid reflux, keeps of burping for more than 6 hours?

how do i overcome this fear and this illness of mine? am i not fit to dive? if so just tell me.. i am more concern of myself rather than be in the water to put myself in danger. but i really want to dive! because i enjoy snorkelling and why not to diving.

Illa,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your first dives. There are a lot of things that could cause the symptoms that you are describing. If you are not comfortable with your swimming ability, maybe it started a cascade of anxiety-related events.

The shortness of breath is worrisome. Of course, without examining you in person it's impossible to say what's wrong. It could be related to anxiety but it's also possible that you aspirated some stomach contents. If you have a history of severe reflux, being upright in the water can aggravate it because of the pressure difference between the stomach/abdominal area and the esophagus. If you are noticeably short of breath you should get medical attention as soon as possible. Your statement that it's hard to turn side to side or else you will throw up is also a bit worrisome... do you feel vertigo, that is, the feeling that the room is spinning? If so, you should seek medical attention right away.

Your story makes me think that perhaps now is not the right time for you to learn to dive - if you are this prone to panic in a well-controlled training situation, you will be that much more prone to it in open water, especially if something goes wrong. You may want to consider some relaxation therapy or mindfulness training to help you overcome your anxiety, and perhaps at a later date you will be more comfortable in the water.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
You don't mention your age. Someone who gets a tight chest, shortness of breath, and nausea to the point of vomiting from swimming 200 yards (something they only achieved with great difficulty) makes me worry a great deal about possible cardiac problems, especially since the same symptoms recurred during the 10 minute tread, which is also a form of exercise test.

I think you should see a doctor. I'm not at all sure your symptoms here had anything to do with diving, as opposed to exercising well beyond your usual.

Back
Top Bottom