Pancreatitis and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a friend that has both the acute and chronic forms of this diease. In most cases would one still be able to dive with pancreatitis? He would obviously check with his doctor, but I would like to know in general.

Definitely have your friend talk to his doctor about it. His physician may want to give DAN a call, too.

Among other things, I'd be worried about the constellation of symptoms associated with chronic pancreatitis. Depending on his particular form of the disease, his symptoms may reflect an inability to produce insulin (diabetes), bleeding, and liver problems. He should also be aware of the things that could happen if he takes too much or too little of the medications to treat his symptoms (insulin and pain meds, in particular). The pancreas is an important little organ. Obviously, if he's having an acute attack, he will likely be in so much pain that he won't even want to be diving. Acute attacks can come on very suddenly and be completely incapacitating. One more thing...he probably shouldn't be traveling to remote dive destinations where medical care would be a great distance away.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

Thanks for your post Bubbletrubble. Yes, I have recommended he check with his doctor before he gets to excited about diving. He is thinking about going to Cozumel this summer for a delayed honeymoon, and still might go even if he isn't able to dive.

Here is what DAN says about chronic pancreatitis

DAN Divers Alert Network

Diving Medicine FAQs
Chronic Pancreatitis
Q:What's chronic pancreatitis? Can I dive with this condition? A:Chronic pancreatitis is a progressive and destructive process resulting in fibrosis and calcification of pancreatic tissue. Loss of pancreatic function can reduce or eliminate the production of insulin. Chronic pancreatitis (70-80 percent) has many causes, including chronic alcohol use and gallstones. Endemic in tropical parts of the world, it can be hereditary as one ages, and it can be caused by other illness and disease. It may present as indigestion, nausea or stomach pain; it can be triggered by eating or drinking alcohol. While this disease can cause chronic malabsorption of nutrients leading to severe weight loss, it can also lead to diabetes. Scuba diving depends on the level of fitness and health of the individual. If a diver’s condition has not progressed to the point of needing medication control for chronic pain, if the diver can eat without the gastrointestinal side effects of pancreatitis, including diabetes, and if the diver can perform exercise without unusual fatigue, then scuba may be permitted. However, the manifestation of continuous and chronic symptoms of pancreatitis would make diving with symptoms unwise.

Acute pancreatitis is a serious disease and, at least in my mind, an absolute and powerful contraindication to any activity as significant as diving.

Chronic pancreatitis is a disease with a wide spectrum of manifestations. Some patients are very functional except for occasional flares, requiring pain medication. Others are debilitated, with significant problems with diarrhea and malabsorption, or even glucose intolerance. Each case would need to be evaluated individually, and the patient given some guidelines for deciding when he is not fit to be in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom