Panasonic underwater housing or Aquapac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geckotek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a TZ5 and I'm debating getting the Panasonic underwater housing for it. I recently noticed the Aquapac is about 25% of the cost. I'm guessing the controls might be a bit more difficult, but not sure how much or how important that will be.

So, am I insane for considering the Aquapac or are they actually a decent value?

Your camera has a sweet little Leica lens on it. It also has a 10x optical zoom which is nice, but probably not very useful under water.

Not a dumb question at all. Few scuba divers purchase the Aquapac product because of the limited under water range (max depth 15 fsw) and the fact that it resembles a thick Ziploc baggie. Personally, I have little use for an underwater housing that can't be taken to a depth of at least 125 fsw. I also suspect that operating the buttons through the Aquapac plastic would be a clumsy endeavor.

The Aquapac makes a lot more sense for beachgoers looking for a little salt water splash protection or snorkelers who want to take shallow under water pics/movies. For scuba divers, it's of limited utility. Think of how many dives you might do with a max depth of 15 fsw.

I've had the Aquapac keymaster leak a bit. I just had keys and cash in it, so no big deal.

These ziplocks do not protect the camera from the water pressure, the way a hard case does. This could result in buttons being activated at depth, or damage to the zoom mechanism (in my opinion).

Wow, not sure how I missed that the depth limit was only 15 fsw. That definately won't do.

Thanks guys, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Aquapac is out...Panasonic housing it is.

Back
Top Bottom