Panasonic DMC-TZ30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody who has experince with the new Panasonic DMC-TZ30 ?

It looks to have some nice features but I miss possibility of RAW pictures.

Pleased to hear any comments ?

Brgds Jesper

Hmmm weird that no seems to have this camera?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've tested mine with an Inon strobe and L&M video light in Turkey. IMHO it is an improvement on the TZ20. I use it like the earlier model and don't bother with the touchscreen or GPS gimmicks.

My (amateur) strategy is for speed and candid shots not possible with larger rigs. I like to be able to shoot at arms length or into a small crevice when needed for shy subjects. For me, getting the shot and cropping for composition later is an important option to have in certain situations so having the higher pixel resolution of the TZ30 is an advantage. This also means I usually fix the ISO to 80 (certainly no higher than 400)

For me this series of cameras offers the best balance of options for flexibility under water (Manual mode, HD video, compactness and speed of use) and on land (optical zoom).

A shame at this time is that Inon have not produced an adaptor to fit their close up lenses on the housing (available for the TZ20). So for the time being I have to go back to this older model for the best options in macro situations. Doubling up close up lenses allows for some amazing macro shots for such a travel compact.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351314181.688420.jpg

I have had the DMC-TZ30 for a few months now having previously owned the TZ-7. Although I am still experimenting with it and learing how to get the best from the various settings available, I am generally really pleased with the results so far. Like Greenjuice I don't really bother with the touchscreen or GPS gimmicks (GPS flattens the battery very quickly). The majority of the the time I set the camera on one of the automatic modes and the results I get are fairly reasonable for a complete amateur like me!

A lot of the diving I do is in the UK (Scotland) and in sea lochs and locations where it can be quite dark at depth due to peat stained water preventing the surface light from penetrating too far. That and the fact that the sun isn't necessarily shining up on the surface! I'm currently contemplating purchasing an external strobe and doing a bit of researching to that end so I know what my options are - any advice gratefully accepted!

The ability to shoot HD video with these more recent digital compacts is a great feature and the results with the TZ30 are an improvement on what I obtained with the TZ7, which was itself very respectable. The flexibility of being able to take video or photographs or both on a single dive with such a compact camera combined with picture quality on a par with and possibly even better than the TZ7 I had previously was what sold this camera to me. Agreed, it doesn't have more pro features such as the option of RAW format but it is perhaps not aimed at the type of user who would feel the need for this?

Not sure what the policy on this forum is as regarding posting of links is, but I have a website where I have recently started to share some of the pictures I have taken with my TZ30 and am gradually sorting through some of my previous efforts taken on my TZ7. Immersed - Adj. 1. Dipped or submerged in a liquid. 2. Involved deeply in a particular interest. Feel free to have a look, but be kind! The link should be in my profile too.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the TZ30 (if I can!) since their don't seem to be many owners on here. Oh, and it takes fairly good pictures on the surface too!

Nice pics!

I've used strobes with a Panasonic setup for some years.

For my skill level, I prefer a simple single strobe set up and used a Sea & Sea YS25DX strobe for several years. More recently I started using the Inon S2000.

From a practical view, there is little between them. The Inon is stronger but I rarely needed the full power of the YS25 anyway.

IMHO, the only differences of note are:
1. that the YS25 uses 2 batteries instead of the Inon's 4, so less need for chargers when travelling.
2. Both work as slaves to the camera flash, so need a way of suppressing that flash to avoid unwanted effects. Inon provide a fiddly solution placing a dark filter over the camera flash. I made up a DIY cover for use with the YS25.
3. Both are easy to use and give consistent results.

Inon have recently released an M67 adaptor for the TZ30 as well as a wide angle wet lens.

I had the opportunity to test this out recently.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354596287.689318.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354596356.226907.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1354596410.344879.jpg

The wet lens also works with the TZ10 housing if you have the M67 adaptor for it.

Not quite wide enough to get a full Snell's window, as you can see on the third picture, but enough to get a reasonable effect. The dome port is being released this month, which will make it much wider.

In combination with the close-up lenses and a couple of lens holders, I can now swap between macro, wide, CFWA, HD video and stills underwater. This gives a measure of versatility if you have diverse subject matter.

If anyone is thinking of getting this, it is worth noting that the basic TZ30 with a strobe can do well in about 70% of most situations. These wet options add a little 'wow' factor to the pictures and allows more options for artistry in the pictures.

I added a float arm, following the example on the Inon website, which I think is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom