Panama diving in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davidz

Reaction score
I am hoping to dive Panama Jan-early Feb 2011. I am an experienced diver with 280 +dives .I am trying to decide which area in Panama to dive.
From what I have I read & researched , the Caribean / Bocas del Toro is very nice with good reef system but that at that time of year diving is less than ideal due to the seasonal windy ,rough, sea conditions & limited vis.I also read that Isla Coiba has wonderful diving but with unpredictable conditions & variable vis/colder water in Jan - Feb season,but may be a better choice. . I want to determine which area of Panama has the best conditions in January/early February.
I very much appreciate your time & consideration .

Last January, I dove Bocas. Yes, the outer islands and deeper reefs are out of touch during that time of year. (Right now is the best time.) But, inside the islands there are a lot of good diving sites and calm seas. I can't tell you that much about Coiba because I haven't dove there, yet. But, I would highly recommend that you contact Jon at Bocas Water Sports. (Bocas Water Sports) Jon will give you all the facts honestly and directly. And, if you do decide to dive in Bocas, his operation is the only one to go with.

Funny thing- My dive buddy and I plan a week diving in Panama--probably Jan. -early Feb.! We will book with Panama Divers, which is on the Caribbean side at Portobelo. They say that time of year is best as it is away from their rainy season--they say it's their "summer". The shop owns a motel - the Octopus Gardens- very basic and about $60 per night. Their boats are $100/2 tank dive. Maybe we'll see you there....

You might ask [user]cappyjon431[/user] if he doesn't see this thread. He owns Bocas Watersports.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged...

Last edited:
If you're interested in diving at Portobelo, I recommend Scubapanama. Lodging - your choice of rooms, like Panama Divers, or bungalow cabins ($40, I believe) or two bedroom/two story cabins ($60). 2 Tank dives are $85. Very good meals, too. But, that said, you won't find a better dive operator in Panama than Bocas Water Sports.

I am hoping to dive Panama Jan-early Feb 2011. I am an experienced diver with 280 +dives .I am trying to decide which area in Panama to dive.
From what I have I read & researched , the Caribean / Bocas del Toro is very nice with good reef system but that at that time of year diving is less than ideal due to the seasonal windy ,rough, sea conditions & limited vis.I also read that Isla Coiba has wonderful diving but with unpredictable conditions & variable vis/colder water in Jan - Feb season,but may be a better choice. . I want to determine which area of Panama has the best conditions in January/early February.
I very much appreciate your time & consideration .

Hi David. January and February is our peak diving season here in Bocas. We have literally hundreds of divers diving here during these months. While it can be quite rough/windy on the outside reefs, the large majority of our reefs are on the leeward (protected) sides of islands so sea conditions are actually very calm.

Our visibility on the inside reefs averages 35 feet, and visibility is primarily influenced by rainfall, not sea conditions. Unfortunately there is no predicting the rainfall during that time of year. Sometimes we go weeks with not a drop and sometimes we get a deluge which can last for days. When we do get extended rainfall for days viz will drop substantially.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

It seems to me that Coiba is said to have usually its best visibility in January. With El Nino/El Nina there may be some variations though.

I have been there for almost 40 dives (but in March/April 2010) and didn't find the conditions were so "unpredictable" nor the visibility so bad (usually around 12-15 meters) nor the water so cold (usually 28°C in the shallows and 24°C below the thermocline). At the right time of the tide (slack) with a competent guide there are also quiet diving areas around Coiba with lots of fish. Coiba is not only about raging currents, albeit they do exist and it's advisable to be prepared to meet them, at least sometimes.

For the sheer quantities of fish (but not the diversity: mostly whitetip reef sharks, mobula rays, stingrays, barracudas, batfish, different species of jacks, wahoos, moray-eels, some big groupers, grunts, parrotfish, butterflyfish, some frogfish) Coiba is no doubt world-class.

I suggest you look at the information available in the websites of the Santa Catalina dive centers regarding diving conditions in Coiba in Jan/Feb (you can even drop them a line).

Thanks to everyone for writing . No decision yet tho initial info & searches lean me to Coiba as best diving

I am leanimg towards COiba as many sources say it has best diving in Panama who did you dive with in Coiba ? I have heard such mixed reviews on the dive shops. Did you div eout of Catalina or stay on the Island

I am leaning towards Coiba as many sources say it has best diving in Panama. Who did you dive with in Coiba ? I have heard such mixed reviews on the dive shops. Did you dive out of Santa Catalina or stay on the Island

We (my wife and I) dived with Scuba Coiba (owner is Herbie) based at Santa Catalina. We found out that the "mixed reviews" that we also read were mostly bull**** (in our opinion). We spent a few nights on Coiba island (no dive center there yet), but otherwise we went everyday from Santa Catalina. We wrote a full report about this trip in this Central America Scubaboard forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom