Panama Caribean dive locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smith3387

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are considering a vacation in Panama this November. Any suggestions for dive locations and lodging are appreciated.

San Blas looks beautiful, but some sites say no diving is allowed, while others seem to promote diving where no one else has dived before. What is the real story of diving San Blas?

Boca del Toro also looks great. There don't seem to be a lot of diving packcages like there are in Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan and other diving destinations. Any advice as to how to piece a package together?

We are relatively new divers. I am PADI Rescue and my wife is OWD. Looking for some easy dives for her and lots of coral and marine life to see and photograph.

I love Bocas. my wife and I went diving in Bocas for a couple of weeks in December and loved the area so much we ended up buying one of the local dive shops. We'll be moving there in May.

About the diving: Bocas diving is good, not great. The primary negatives are that vis can hover around 40-50 feet after heavy rains (and it rains a lot in Bocas). The other negative is that there are not a lot of big critters. The local indigenous Indians engage in subsistence fishing, so you won't see a lot of big fish. I feel the positives outweigh the negatives: Most of the sites are well protected from high seas so you usually have tiny waves and no current. You will never have a trip cancelled due to bad sea conditions (I've had many dive trips cancelled throughout the Caribbean because of high seas). While there are not a lot of big critters, the reefs are incredibly healthy and there is a huge assortment of tropicals.

Dive operators: I'm biased because I will be an owner/operator come May, but truth be told, there are two excellent dive operators in Bocas, Starfllet Scuba and Bocas Water Sports. both are very inexpensive for Caribbean diving (approximately $50 for a two-tank dive, all gear included). In my opinion, BWS has better boats and dive gear, while Starfleet has a much nicer dive shop and a better web site. Both operators have excellent staffs (I think Freddie, the senior DM at BWS is one of the best DMs I've ever had). While I have a personal interest in BWS, you couldn't go wrong with either operator. I don't know Starfleet's web address, but BWS is Bocaswatersports.com.

Topside: There are dozens of decent places to stay in Bocas, to meet all budgets, ranging from $8/night hostels to Punta Caracol, which is beautiful and goes for almost $300/night. My personal favorite is Lula's Bed and breakfast (lulabb.com). They charge $50/night w/ breakfast and the owners (Bryan and Jana Hudson) are both divers--Jana is an instructor. There are some great and very inexpensive restaurants in town--don't miss Guari-Guari, El Pecado, Om, Cosmic Crab, and Lemon Grass. Lili's is great for lunch. Dinners should run about $30/per couple max, including drinks. If you want very good, cheap local food you can get meals at Chitre' and Don Chichos, where dinners run under $10 for two persons.

One of the things that attracted us to Bocas were the people. Everyone is friendly and helpful. It's a very diverse place, with indiginous Indians, Afro-Caribbeans, Panamanians (of Hispanic decent) and a large number of expats (mostly Brits and Americans), all getting along in harmony. There appears to be little prejudice or animosity between groups. It is truly a melting pot, with virtually no crime.

The topside geography is incredibly beautiful. Beautiful beaches (don't miss Red Frog beach), lush rainforests, classic Carbbean architechture make for an amazing setting for any vacation. Consider taking an all day tour of the Saposo Indian village (approx. $90/person, including lunch) on the mainland. The botanical garden tour on Isla Colon is $10 and is beautiful. Taxis are .50 cents anywhere in town, and water taxis are $1-$2 to the surrounding islands (Carenero, Solarte, Bastiementos).

PM me if you need any further info.

My wife and I stayed at Coral Lodge in the San Blas area in July 2006. I can't recommend it enough! Amazing location, great diving, superb food, and wonderful hospitality. It's true there is no diving in San Blas, but Coral Lodge is about 10km north of San Blas province and the diving is on the Baja Escribano reef 2 miles off shore.
It's very remote though, no shopping, just relax and dive. That was perfect for us, but if you need night life this wouldn't be the spot.

Thanks, Sounds great. We can go back to PC a day or 2 earlier and get emough night life for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom