Panama, Caribbean Side, Bocas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maureen23669

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm finding disagreement about diving Bocas. Some say there's nothing left there. Others say it's great. We want to travel first week in April with family of 6, all divers (kids 16-25).

Airfares to Panama are much, much better than Roatan, as are room rates. Unfortunately Anthony's Key (AKR) and Roatan flights have priced us out. I've been waiting for them to drop, but we're running out of time.

1) Is Bocas worth diving 3 or 4 days?
2) Any recommendations for another Caribbean dive location that has similar offerings as AKR, without the high prices? Luxury is unimportant, but all-inclusive really helps, so we don't have to watch everything the teens and young adults are spending our money on.

Thanks!

Maureen

I'm finding disagreement about diving Bocas. Some say there's nothing left there. Others say it's great. We want to travel first week in April with family of 6, all divers (kids 16-25).

Airfares to Panama are much, much better than Roatan, as are room rates. Unfortunately Anthony's Key (AKR) and Roatan flights have priced us out. I've been waiting for them to drop, but we're running out of time.

1) Is Bocas worth diving 3 or 4 days?
2) Any recommendations for another Caribbean dive location that has similar offerings as AKR, without the high prices? Luxury is unimportant, but all-inclusive really helps, so we don't have to watch everything the teens and young adults are spending our money on.

Thanks!

Maureen

You might get more responses if you go to the Central America forums and not Central America Marketplace (there are a number of threads on Bocas diving, but you can certainly start a new one with your questions). A good general web site on Bocas that includes info on accommodations, dive shops, restaurants is BOCAS DEL TORO - Tourism in the Panama Caribbean region.

Bocas diving is good, but I would never claim it is world class. The sea conditions are usually flat calm and there is very little (if any) current. Water temps average 82 degrees year round, but went up as high as 90 degrees last summer (too hot!). Visibility averages about 35 feet (not great) and can decrease significantly with sustained heavy rainfall. All-in-all bocas can be characterized as good, easy diving.There are not a lot of big fish, but in my opinion this is made up for by incredible diversity. Over 90 species of coral, 140 species of fish, and over 200 species of non-coral invertebrates (crab, lobster, shrimp, anemones, nudibranchs, octopus, squid, etc.). There are a lot of rare/unusual fish here--seahorses, flying gunards, toadfish, frogfish.

There are very few all-inclusives here, but if you eat at the "locals" restaurants it is possible to eat well on $10/day. The more "touristy" restaurants are good, but prices are higher. PM me if you have any specific questions about Bocas as far as accommodations, diving, sightseeing, beaches, restaurants, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom