Panama - Bocas del Toro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sirensong

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Panama in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good diving operation, dive sites, accommodation, etc., in the Bocas del Toro area? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Melissa

I JUST got back from Bocas del Toro a couple of days ago. I assume you are staying on Isla Colon. If so, you have two shops (that I know of) to choose from. One is Starfleet Scuba and the other is Bocas Watersports. I dove with Starfleet the whole time I was there. They run a good operation, the diving is cheap ($40/2 tanks), and it's a great location. Just do a search for them and you will find their website. A Brit by the name of Tony runs the place and he was a great guy.

The diving in Bocas, especially this time of year, is touch and go. The vis can go from ok to bad, there aren't a ton of big things to see, but plenty of neat macro, very colorful corals, and you see some neat fish (I saw some stone fish, big morays, a portugese manowar, etc.).

If you are flying into Panama City, I would also recommend diving Portobelo. I went out for a day w/ Panama Divers and it was great- they picked me up from my hotel in PC, took me up to Portobelo (2 hours through the countryside), I had the DM and 2 crew on the boat to myself, the diving was better than Bocas (but still not great), and the history of the area is amazing. You explore the forts and have lunch during your SI. Definitely worth checking out.

I stayed at Hotel Marbella in PC. It was cheap and had a great location. I also arranged transportation through Jose Saenz (highly recommended). PM if you need contact details.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom