Trip Report Palm Beach & Jupiter 4/17-18/2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Palm Beach 4/17/21
Pura Vida 2-tank AM
Saturday 8 am - Noon
1. Tear Drop outside to inside
2. Trench ... although with the poor viz we were a bit too far west and actually missed the trench!
Very light north current
Chilly 73-75 F
Calm seas building to 2’
Viz was around 30' maybe 40' at points.

Jupiter 4/18/21
Jupiter Dive Center 3-tank
Sunday 9 am - 3 pm
1. Area 51
2. Scarface
3. Cpt Kurls
Non-existent current ... Literally!! We had to fin the entirety of the last two dives. No water movement to move us along the reef.
75-76 F
Calm seas building to 2-3’
Viz was 30'

Both operators are conscientious to advise the customers of the Coast Guard COVID guidelines and they also do their best to follow them. Both boats are still running at a reduced capacity as well.

A few photos:

2CA116F5-C69F-44E5-931B-B0121205B2F3.jpeg
BAF8E0C5-0BBB-4777-8B54-29BFD864F902.jpeg
3BC2CE2A-3AD8-4EC1-B8EA-9F557D823BBA.jpeg
D7233C7D-355C-48F0-867B-DDA97CB653C4.jpeg
11A0FEAB-AE4F-4269-AF65-6E3E7F2E8743.jpeg
CBAA94CE-E3EE-4D88-B0C4-7A1E7570B91E.jpeg

Fantastic photos. Thank you.

Thanks, Jim. Nice photos. I was at the Trench on 4/11 with PVD and saw a curious Goliath Grouper. The Trench was interesting. Tear Drop looked dead (sadly).

That’s why I did the outside (eastside) then crossed over and did the top. The west ledge there has seen better days.

Thanks for this report as well as Boynton and for the water temp info!
I will be in Boynton for 3 days of diving with Loggerhead April 30, May 1st and May 2nd.

Just got a much needed 3/5mm hooded vest to go under my 5mm Henderson that will come in handy for this trip.

Good report Jim! Funny to hear that there was no current off Jupiter on Sunday morning because there was plenty of it off Palm Beach on Sunday afternoon! We ended up punting on the river walk in favor of Fourth Window for our second dive because of the current. Viz has been kind of milky the last few weeks.

There was a hammerhead sighting on Area 51 on Saturday morning! My boat just missed it but the other JDC boat got some good footage of it.

Thnx for posting

Thanks for sharing. I like that crab!!

It was HUGE! They typically stay under the ledges but he was in a crevice and fully exposed. I need to look up what species it is. Other than the obvious hermit crabs I don't know one crab from another.

EDIT: I got out my Reef Creature Identification book. It's definitely a clinging crab. Either a Channel Clinging Crab or a Hairy Clinging Crab. I'm not certain but I would put my money on Channel Clinging Crab. It was definitely on the upper end of the size range for the species.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom