palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackodacko

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
whens the best time to go to palau, i heard something like theres a good season and a not so good season?

and does anyone know where i can get good rates? so far ive seen $850 for a 5D/4N (leave Sat, come back Wed)landbased trip; inclusive of airfare (RT Manila-Koror); land transfers; boat, dm, tanks and air for 2 dives

thankssss

You definitely should dive Palau if you are a keener.
It doesn't matter so much when you go but Octber to May is the drier period although it might rain. I was in Palau in the spring and it was mainly nice.
There isn't so much topside in Palau IMHO.
I won't recommend the Big Blue although it is cheap for liveabord trips.:mean:

I won't recommend the Big Blue although it is cheap for liveabord trips.

Just curious... but why? I have never been on the Big Blue. We have however been on the Aggressor and would love to do it again. I understand that the Big Blue is a bit cheaper... do you find it lacks in service, safety, accomodations, or something else? Thanks....

I lived in Palau for a year. I completed my DM and AI as well as worked for two of the shops there before I left.

Best time of year - - February or March. Best water clarity, wind conditions, and interesting underwater activity (such as Moorish Idols schooling). Palau is almost on the equator, you can count on some rain almost everyday, don't worry about the rain. Worry about the winds. When the normal NE tradewinds shift to SW in the June - August, most of the major dive sites are off limits to all but the very daring. People that try to force a Blue Corner dive with even mild 10 -15 mph SW winds are in for a trial by fire.

Liveaboard vs. Landbased - - I have to agree there is not a whole lot in Koror to see. Basically good food, good drink, then goodnight. On the flip side, owing to the way the crews get roated the liveaboard guides know less about Palau than returning guests. During one lunch break we had a group from one of the liveaboards stop and do a dive right where our boat was tied up. We WERE'NT even at a dive site. They saw the shop's boat and figured we had just come up from a dive, and they proceeded to drop their group right there. Is this sort of experience with $5k a head?

If you want to dive A LOT go do the liveaboard thing. If you want to see a lot of variety, hook up with an experienced guide from one of the local shops. One of the most experienced guides there, Keith, runs his own boat www.palaudive.com and can find just about anything you want to see (short of whale sharks). Sam's and Fish-N-Fins also run great operations with smaller boats and cater to US and European guests. Neco and Splash run larger boats and tend to lean towards Japanese and asian guests.

The Peleliu option and Godwin - - The Storyboard in Peleliu is a bare bones family style hotel. There are 6 individual cottages right on one of the lagoons on the north end of Peleliu. Godwin is the owner, manager, and guide and his boat is 5 minutes from Blue Corner and Blue Hole, etc. If you can do without a lot of the amenities of a large resort, and you want quicker boat rides, give them a call. He is also one of the few people I would be very comfortable with on a ripping Peleliu Cut dive.

Go there with some experience under your belt! These are not the sort of dead easy mooring line dives you find in the Caymans. Almost every dive is a drift (from easy to just plain hell). I cannot recall an easy checkout dive for a first dive. If you are not careful you may just wind up at Blue Corner on your first dive.

Your boat driver is just as important as your guide. If that boat is not there at the end of your dive you may learn to understand this. Take good care of your boat driver, they are mostly locals and may seem a little gruff, but they appreciate it.

The last day you cannot dive look into a Kayak tour with Sam's. You haven't lived until you have snorkeled most of the inner reef lagoons of Palau. Disney Lake and Mandarinfish lake are two favorites.

That is some of the most practical, nuts and bolts advice I have ever seen on this board re: Palau. Great job!

Great report on palau.

Back
Top Bottom