Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a chance to go to Palau for the first time at the end of June. Has anyone here been there end of June? I know it's not the best time of year to dive but that's when our local group is going and I don't know when I will get another chance to go. I am driving myself crazy looking at trip and weather reports for June and every site says something different. I am from the States so this would be a big (money & 24 hour flights) trip for me. I really don't want to get stuck with bad weather not being able to do all the sites that makes Palau famous. What do you think? Should I take my chances, money, 24 hour flight, and go? Or should I wait for another chance at a better time of year? All comments are appreciated.

Thank you very much,
gianster

gianster:
Hi all,
I have a chance to go to Palau for the first time at the end of June. Has anyone here been there end of June? I know it's not the best time of year to dive but that's when our local group is going and I don't know when I will get another chance to go. I am driving myself crazy looking at trip and weather reports for June and every site says something different. I am from the States so this would be a big (money & 24 hour flights) trip for me. I really don't want to get stuck with bad weather not being able to do all the sites that makes Palau famous. What do you think? Should I take my chances, money, 24 hour flight, and go? Or should I wait for another chance at a better time of year? All comments are appreciated.

Thank you very much,
gianster

Whatever you do, do NOT travel straight through. Overnight in either Guam, Tokyo or Hawaii, depending on which stops you make.

pilot fish:
Whatever you do, do NOT travel straight through. Overnight in either Guam, Tokyo or Hawaii, depending on which stops you make.

Amen to that brother. For sure on the return trip. On the outbound trip, you're pumped and the trip doesn't seem that bad. But coming home, it's a killer on the human body.:(

From where I come from in Canada to the resort I dive at in the Philippines takes 32 hours of travel, including short connection times, van and boat travel. Mind you I use noise canceling headphones on the plane and can get a good night sleep...:wink:

I think June still has good weather in Palau but the winds start to pick up.

I wish I could break the trip up in half to dive some other places but I have a wife and kid to report back to. So it will be straight through. I have to be happy they're letting me go in the first place. I think i'm going to take my chances and go. Praying for good weather. Thanks everyone.

Barracuda2:
Amen to that brother. For sure on the return trip. On the outbound trip, you're pumped and the trip doesn't seem that bad. But coming home, it's a killer on the human body.:(

I can't imagine coming from a trip like we took and going right back to work in a few days. You really need a week to get back on track. For me it was the killer trip over that did me in, but, miraculosly, I was a ble to reboudnd after a good nights sleep in Truk and do all my dives. Forget the insane arrival and departure times in Yap. That is just designed to torture divers.:eyebrow:

How did your pics come out? PM me a few and I'll send you some of mine, although you can see some in my photo gallery

I have been there diving in June it's the just before rainy season but your in the water anyway whats a little rain. I can say enough about breaking up the trip with a stopover somewhere. We prefer Japan but Guam is ok. Also there is fair diving in Guam.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

Your right. What's a little rain. I am done obssesing about what the weather will be like. I use to look at weather web sites when I plan my trips and they always said "rain" everyday. I would just go and it would be perfect weather. You never know what your going to get being in the tropics and if we do get rain it would be better than being home with rain. I'm booked and looking foward to it.

Thanks,
Gianster

I would go too, and have. Just take a rain jacket to wear on the boat and you will be fine. Palau is a very special place and you will have some terrfic dives.

I have been going to Palau for the last 7 years....do not worry about how long the trip is and do not lose a dive day to sleep in Guam....Palau is only 2 hours from Guam and you get in anywhere from 8:30 to 10:30 pm....depending if you stop over in Yap....get to bed and go diving in the AM!...it is some of the best diving in the world!

Regarding the weather....late June could be a bit rough as the winds pick up....but I have known people who have gone there in late June and it was perfect....The best weather in the spring is generally March, April and May....in March 2006....it rained and blew half of the trip....who are you diving with?....I use PalauDive.com...Keith is one of the best in Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom