PALAU: Wreck Diving Haven?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresher

Reaction score
watched an episode of "aquanauts" on cable and it was amazing! hundreds of WWII wrecks, destroyers, cruisers, subs, fighters, divebombers etc. it made me drool just looking at those divers swim in and around those beautiful wrecks. what more if i'm actually there! claimed to be the wreck diving haven of the world.

if anyone has dived there before, would love to hear your experiences, and of course some tips you can offer: best time to visit, best sites, preferred dive operators etc.

thanx!
:D

Thresher,

The diving in Micronesia is fantastic. We are headed to Yap and Palau in Feb/Mar of next year. Palau has a fair number of Japanese wrecks from WW II, of which 6 are regularly dived by the shops out there. However, they tend to be in poor shape and require a fair amount of scuba experience to dive. Palau is much more famous for its splendiferous sealife, especially large pelagics that roam the waters of the atoll.

More famed for its wrecks is Truk Lagoon. In fact, within the lagoon, that is really all that is dived. Most of the wrecks are "deep" dives, but within recreational limits. Three of the best wrecks are outside rec limits; however, two of the three are close enough to make them doable to divers with lots of experience. I filed a report about Truk here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1232&highlight=truk

For both Truk and Palau the best time of the year to go in terms of weather and water clarity is around Feb-Apr. There are resorts and dive shops on both as well as live-aboards. Each offers a unique experience.

I can recommend the local dive resorts and dive shops on both, but have never used a live-aboard there.

I hope this helps...and encourages you to take a trip to Micronesia.

Joewr

thanx joewr

read your report and i must say that was an excellent write-up. i could almost see the sites as i was reading your words
thanx mate. i'm definitely making that trip next year.

cheers!

I was in Palau and Truk in April of this year and if you want to
see wrecks then go straight to Truk. If you want to see some of the wrecks that are dived the least, then consider one of the liveaboards (there are 3 to choose from). The land based operation is good (at the Blue Lagoon) but you will be restricted to 3 dives a day, which for most divers is the right amount (depends on your experience, condition, etc.). There are between 40 and 60 wrecks in the lagoon (depends on which book you read), but then even 20 is a fair number to choose from. Expect vizability not to exceed 60 feet or so, as it is a logoon and there is little current to wisk away to suspended STUFF. It rains a lot in both Truk and Palau, and once you see the vegatation you will realize it rains all year long... some months it never stops, but March to April seems to be the best time of the year...normally.

Have a great trip... we did.

Folks,

The viz in Truk begins to decline around March due to algae bloom. If you go in Jan or Feb, as we did, it approaches 100 ft. In addition, if you request a specific ship, the DM's at Blue Lagoon will take you there. If you do not, they will take you on the "regular rounds".

Klaua Lindemann has written several books on Truk and Operation Hailstorm. They are a good guide to the dives. If you cannot find copies where you live, they are normally available on Truk. One, entitled "Hailstorm, A Dive Guide", is a relatively quick read and will help you select dives even if you buy it when you arrive on Truk: that is because the Blue Lagoon DM's normally let you specify the dives for the day when you get on the boat in the morning! However, you need to get agreement amongst your fellow divers.

Joewr...

Alan, Joewr

Thanx for the excellent info guys! Really appreciate it.
Truk, here I come!!!
Woohoo! :bounce:

Hey Joewr!

Didn't get a chance to respond to your last email, but are you still coming to Guam?? PLEASE do!! I'm dying to meet you and Barbara in person!

And Thresher, if you stop on Guam, please let me know. Diving here is hoo-hum after Yap, Palau and Truk, but its a great place to get your feet wet. Best thing is shore diving is sooooo easy (which is ONE thing the other places don't have much of). Best dives are in the harbor, believe it or not! Can't promise you sharks or mantas...but can promise you the clearest water you could ever hope to see!

Originally posted by scubabunny
Hey Joewr!

Didn't get a chance to respond to your last email, but are you still coming to Guam?? PLEASE do!! I'm dying to meet you and Barbara in person!

Scubabunny,

All systems are go! And we, too, are looking forward to meeting you and Rooster.

Please keep the water heater and clarifier in good order!

Joewr...hmmm...bunnies and roosters...funny people these Guam folks...

Originally posted by scubabunny
And Thresher, if you stop on Guam, please let me know. Diving here is hoo-hum after Yap, Palau and Truk, but its a great place to get your feet wet. Best thing is shore diving is sooooo easy (which is ONE thing the other places don't have much of). Best dives are in the harbor, believe it or not! Can't promise you sharks or mantas...but can promise you the clearest water you could ever hope to see!
Sure thing scubabunny. I've seen pictures of Guam and its waters. It's really beautiful! Once I get a group together and confirm the agenda, will definitely look you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom