Trip Report Palau Mar/Apr 2022 : Wrecks, Caves, & Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't posted anything in while because I just spent two weeks in Palau and got in 25 dives in 9 days. It was fantastic.

It was my first trip to Palau and I got a really good sense of the variety of the diving that is there. I dove two caves, four wrecks and a bunch of reef & wall dives. Very odd for me, all my dives on this trip were on open circuit with a single AL80 and none involved decompression!

I wrote up an overall review / overview of the travel & Covid testing requirements, hotel, and dive operation at the link below. I really recommend Palau to anybody looking for an international trip. The diving is easy and the variety of diving is great.

Over the next week or two, I will post to my blog additional stories about the four wrecks, two caves and an overview of the reef & wall diving. I will try to remember to cross post them here in case people aren't signed up to receive updates on my posts.

As usual, all of the posts will contain plenty of photos. :)

Here is a low-res photo of a fan coral from a site called Siaes Tunnel:

saies-sb.jpg

PS - Don't worry, we have some projects in progress to find some new wrecks in SoCal. :)

Regards,

- brett

Look forward to seeing your posts, I a headed that way next month.

First post is live. Chandelier Cave:

I'm not sure I will cross-post them all here so you might want to subscribe to the blog.

- brett

Just posted the second summary which is the Temple of Doom cave complete with turtle skeletons:

- brett

Third post about my trip to Palau (the Jake Seaplane) is up. It has a link to a pretty good photogrammetry model I built using ~ 500 pictures.

- brett

I posted about the Choyu Maru yesterday. Here is a link and a photo:

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 3.50.19 PM.png

I have two more posts about wrecks (Iro, Teshio) and then one about the amazing reefs and walls.

- brett

Here is the post about the Teshio Maru.

It has a very photogenic bow:

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 2.21.31 PM.png

- brett

Here is the post on all the reefs & walls I dove while in Palau. I have descriptions of each site along with a ton of pictures of sharks, mantas, coral, etc.

It is a rather long post with many pictures so I hope you enjoy it.

I have one more post to write about the Iro Maru wreck.

Overall, I highly recommend diving in Palau.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 11.14.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 11.16.00 AM.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom