Pair of Super80 Luxfers (post 6351-T6 change)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have a pair of these that came with some other gear. Not currently using them because I have several standard S80 tanks in my rotation as well as that's what we use when fossil diving with charters in FL.

Both have current hydro and VIR, are in pretty good shape, but just aren't getting any use.

Anyhow, debating whether to sell these, set them up for doubles, or whether there's a particular scenario where I'd really prefer to have them over the standard S80

Looking for any and all opinions

Thanks!

The Supers aka neutrally buoyant Al80s seem like a good idea but really are not. Or are at least are no that popular. Your best bet is find a paintballer to buy them as they really do not care.

@Scared Silly, could you elaborate on why these tanks are not a good idea.
I was just given two of them, and plan on using them for pool and shallow/short dives with students if they pass hydro and visual inspection.
My HP 100's are too much tank for these tasks.

Edit: so some further research shows that I have luxfer S80, not the short fat super 80's.
Still wondering what the issues with the supers is?

The supers 3300psi fills are fat and heavy. The extra 5lbs of lead that comes off your weight belt becomes 5lbs of aluminum. Except aluminum is 4 times less dense than lead so the cylinder becomes fat and heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom