Painting a steel rod for hanging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm making a new hanging rod. Due to weight I need to make it from steel so it will be steel. I'm trying to figure out how to paint it.

I would like to color match but that means using latex paint. With the right primer will latex actually be durable if I let it fully cure before use?

I've also considered using automotive paint but I'm not sure how well it will hold up to having hangers on it.

I plan to use self etching primer because it seems like it will give me better results.

Try Rustolium Spray paint from any auto parts store or Walmart. 3 coats, let dry a day after each coat. A day after the last coat, bake it in the oven for at least an hour at 200°F.

Michael

Try Rustolium Spray paint from any auto parts store or Walmart. 3 coats, let dry a day after each coat. A day after the last coat, bake it in the oven for at least an hour at 200°F.

Michael

Won't fit in the oven but I can heat gun it.

Steel pipe? What kind? Prep makes all the difference ...

I avoid (most) Latex for anything that has contact. Years later it will still bond to things with high pressure/extended contact.
Rustoleum PROFESSIONAL if you can get a color that works for you is very god very durable paint if prepped properly. My jeep armor was done with it and it has held up great for about 10 years now

Do you have a storm window that you can borrow? Summer is coming - make a solar oven. Put a couple bricks or something on your black asphalt driveway to support the rod. Support the storm window on some bricks stacked/on edge, etc. so it is just above the rod, angled if possible. Fill in around the window with scrap to eliminate air movement. Orient the slope south and do it on a sunny day. Viola ...

Ide find a place to do Cerakoting.....will be much more durable and corrosion resistant than spray paint, and for something like a coat hanger, it should only set you back $50 or so.

It's cold rolled steel, prep wise plan is to clean with acetone, sand with 320 grit, reclean with acetone and then prime and paint.

Solar oven is a great idea and if I already had the stuff I would do so instead it will be paint heat with heat gun and wait till fully cured.

Ok, Duracoat is a good idea, sadly couldn't find a place close.

Shrink tubing I haven't seen in 1 and 1/4 inch by 4 foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom