Pain behind eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been finding that when I dive, after about half an hour underwater (regardless of depth - it's happened at max depth of 8-30m), I get this stabbing pain behind my eyes. It's a similar sort of pain I get at the onset of a migraine (the dive Dr was aware of my migraines from the medical questionnaire I had to fill out when I was getting my dive medical earlier this year - he didn't seem to think it was a problem). I've never had any sinus problems in the past. I regularly clear my mask when diving, so don't see how it could be the result of mask squeeze (?). The pain tends to disappear about 15 minutes or so after I get out of the water, but makes the end of some dives pretty uncomfortable. Does anybody have any ideas?

I've been finding that when I dive, after about half an hour underwater (regardless of depth - it's happened at max depth of 8-30m), I get this stabbing pain behind my eyes.

Hmmm... Our 20-year-old son was getting stabbing pain behind his eyes during our recent dive vacation to Grand Cayman, which he'd never gotten before in about 40 dives... he had to abort a couple of dives. But it was pretty obviously a sinus squeeze. It was only during descent, from about 10 ft all the way to the bottom.

We got some Allegra-D from a pharmacy (pseudoephedrine + antihistamine), and also used nose spray sparingly. That did it, along with slow descents.

But yours doesn't sound like an equalization problem...

Hi WetPup,

There are a number of possible causes for pain such as is described, but the timing of onset and resolution of discomfort are rather suggestive of sinus involvement.

Given proper mask adjustment, regular equalization of the mask, and the absence of typical signs of mask squeeze (e.g., see post #4 in this recent forum thread --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/347564-bruising-under-eyes.html, this appears unlikely as a cause.

It might be prudent to get checked out by an ENT.

BTW, do you typically dive in very cold water? Ever had vertigo while u/w? Have any dental issues?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Given proper mask adjustment, regular equalization of the mask, and the absence of typical signs of mask squeeze (e.g., see post #4 in this recent forum thread --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/347564-bruising-under-eyes.html, this appears unlikely as a cause.

I have no bruising or vision problems. I only get this stabbing pain. And I thought I'd been pretty good about equalizing my mask during descent and during the dive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It might be prudent to get checked out by an ENT.

BTW, do you typically dive in very cold water? Ever had vertigo while u/w? Have any dental issues?

I dive temperate-warm water. No cold water diving at all. Never had vertigo underwater. And zero dental problems.

If the problem persists I will definitely see an ENT about it.

Back
Top Bottom