PADI's fee to dive centers to issue specialty certs such as Deep Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much does PADI charge dive shops for Deep Diver certifications?
PADI requires materials for specialties, fee for card, shop charges what it needs to earn a return on their investment. PADI does not set fees

And the cost to shops and independent instructors varies with volume level. Typical wholesale to retail cost structure, including MSRP and MAP for educational materials.

If there are no required materials I've seen the PIC fee at $40.

I stopped being a PADI instructor in 2017. Max price was about $25. I doubt it is $40 today

PADI requires materials for specialties, fee for card, shop charges what it needs to earn a return on their investment. PADI does not set fees

Yeah, "fee for card" is essentially what I was referring to.

I stopped being a PADI instructor in 2017. Max price was about $25. I doubt it is $40 today

Interesting. I heard that padi charged something like $120 for each AOW cert and i was horrified. I figured they were making a pretty penny from these specialties since they seem to push them quite hard.

Reason for the post was that I don't want to have problems on vacation not being allowed to dive deeper than 30 m because I don't have a formal deep diver cert. A friend offered to do the course at cost and was wondering what he was up against.

Cost versus retail.
@ryanoceros Do you already have Advanced Open Water? That is a prerequisite for the PADI Deep course. And most operators will be more concerned about an AOW cert than a Deep cert.

Cost versus retail.

Yeah, pretty much. Also he doesn't issue too many PADI cards, typically it is TDI or NSS. I chose NSS, but at the time I was considering doing Master Scuba Diver through PADI. Now if I am bored enough I probably would do it through SDI as the TDI and other agency tech certs count toward it.

Yeah, "fee for card" is essentially what I was referring to.

Interesting. I heard that padi charged something like $120 for each AOW cert and i was horrified. I figured they were making a pretty penny from these specialties since they seem to push them quite hard.

You can "hear" and read lots of incorrect information. The most any PADI instructor (in USA) pays for a PIC (essentially your c-card) is $25.75. The materials for the Deep class range from $65 to $33 (instructor cost) depending on the resources included (book, dvd). Depending on the amount materials purchased the prices to the instructor/shop may be even less.

Cost versus retail.
@ryanoceros Do you already have Advanced Open Water? That is a prerequisite for the PADI Deep course. And most operators will be more concerned about an AOW cert than a Deep cert.

Adventure diver is the prerequisite for deep. It is possible to get AOW certification via entire classes, not just an adventure dives (a much better proposition in my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom