Padi Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A question: I'm at the part in the book re dive tables - of course I didn't understand a thing - went into the local dive shop yesterday for a brief lesson. How much of this in the actual written portion along with the other portion will these type of questions? I can barely read the tables with contacts/reading glasses. We do have biofocal len in our masks - rental gear won't have computer on Ambergris Caye will they?

scubabear2005:
A question: I'm at the part in the book re dive tables - of course I didn't understand a thing - went into the local dive shop yesterday for a brief lesson. How much of this in the actual written portion along with the other portion will these type of questions? I can barely read the tables with contacts/reading glasses. We do have biofocal len in our masks - rental gear won't have computer on Ambergris Caye will they?

THe more important question than what's on the exam is how are you going to plan a dive once you're finished the course.

Not understanding it isn't an option. Even if you buy a computer as soon as you're done with the course you still need to have a basic understanding the mechanics of planning a safe dive.

If you're having trouble reading the RDP then the shop might have one kicking around in A3 format (that's like 8 times bigger than the little ones). You can also download a scan of it from the internet and print it on letter paper for the moment.

R..

Diver0001:
If you're having trouble reading the RDP then the shop might have one kicking around in A3 format (that's like 8 times bigger than the little ones). You can also download a scan of it from the internet and print it on letter paper for the moment.
Another alternative is to do a scan of just Table 3, plus adding in a single row of SI numbers at the bottom. Table 3 has the same info as Table 1, and all of the tiny tiny print of table 2 can be condensed down to just a single row of readable numbers with just a roundoff error of +/1 minute. Add your SI time to the number in the SI row, then move to the right until that sum is greater than the SI row entry.

Or you can print out the "RDP-like" table of the attached Excel file. Based on the same basic model as the PADI RDP, it differs +/1 minute in a few spots, but is essentially the same. If you are willing to subract residual N2 time (RNT) from the NDL, you can also delete all of the shaded rows of "adjusted NDL times".

Diver0001:
I left the calculations visible. Just hide them/set print area as desired to print the table.

M0 is the maximum allowable dissolved N2 pressure at sea level or "surfacing M-value". See that classic article "Understanding M-Values" by Erik Baker. Each of the many entries in the PADI RDP table and my excel spreadsheet are the "NDL" time, but rather than for the full M-value of the 60 minute compartment, its the "NDL" for the reduced M-value associated with each Pressure Group. Erik Baker's article also has the metric M0 info, so you can convert the table to the metric form without too much work.

When reverse engineering the PADI RDP, I found that they chose to make the pressure groups to be integer % of M value. Steps of 3% of the 60 min compartment M-value for most pressure groups, with the A and B pressure groups being bigger jumps. This makes the boundaries of the pressure groups strange looking in FSW of N2. OTOH, the Navy Workmann tables have pressure groups that are nice even increments of fsw (2 fsw/PG IIRC).

One set of calculations not that aren't shown are the NDL calcs for depths deeper than 40'. For those, you just use that same formula that is repeated throughout the table, but using the shorter haltime time constant and the full value of the associated M0 for that compartment. One compartment will have the shortest result. That's the NDL for that depth.

The attached file has the whole table for both 60 min and 30 min compartments, with some added formula for offgassing calculations -- if you look in the 70' row, you can see how the 30 min compartment gets to 98-100% of its limit in 38-40 minutes. That's why the PADI RDP has 40 minute NDL for 70'.

The other calculation I didn't show is the offgassing or SI calcs. If you look at the 0' depth row on the 60 minute table, that is where the SI numbers come from. For the purpose I built that spreadsheet, I wanted to count down from 110% of M-values. The PADI SI table counts down from 98% of 60 min HT M0, if you change row 6 so it starts from 98% then the times are pretty close to PADI RDP table 2 (Or just subtract from the existing spreadsheet values, the 10 minutes that is in the 98%/0' entry already).

As you probably have already figured out, if you change the 0.21 entry to something else, like 0.32, the table will be recalculated for EAN. The NDL are NOT automatically recalculated, just the main body of "time to pressure group" numbers.

I used an older version of Table Tutor to get the idea of using tables down. I don't know if/how the program has changed since 1998, but it was a neat way to practice with immediate feedback.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
I used an older version of Table Tutor to get the idea of using tables down. I don't know if/how the program has changed since 1998, but it was a neat way to practice with immediate feedback.

Cameron

You can download the shareware version from my site: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TableTutor

And then just shoot me a PM with your shareware number, I give a free unlock code to SB members.

This will let you practice 82 billion questions in 9 different table formats - just find the one that matches yours.... Metric or imperial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom