PADI speciality courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
Soon i will take my padi deep, wreck, drift and navigation specialities. I would like to know what exams, quizzes or any other exam type questions i will have to do. (then i can start to revise what i need). Also if you could tell me how long the courses last that would be great. :)

Thanks
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

HI there,

There are no exams for those specs, only knowledge reviews to complete and revise. You may be asked to do a Quick Review quiz beforehand which covers some basic knowledge.

Deep and Wreck are both 4 dives and are typically conducted over 2 days, Navigation is three dives and often covered in single day if you are an AOW certified diver, because then you have already done navigation dive 1 and only need to do the other 2 dives from the Nav Specialty.

Cheers

C.

Ive seen deep done as 3 dives as well due to AOW meaning dive 2 has been done too. Check number of dives before seeing if a price is good or not :)

Whatever, most of them are a waste of time and money. Go for the AOW which will cover, to some degree, all you have mentioned at one cost and will permit you do do deep dives which include wrecks, at least in the USA anyway. Don't know what the rules are over there in limey land.

If he's doing deep spec he will already be AOW or equivalent.

As for rules, generally there aren't any. Its all down to personal responsibility. Its been many many years since any UK inland site or boat asked me for sort sort of qualification. There's no law about it and the boat is merely a taxi.

And to the original poster, please please please don't sign up for a shop that insists on you doing the wreck speciality in a quarry. Many do.

Whatever, most of them are a waste of time and money.

That's a strong statement considering you've not done these courses.

Go for the AOW which will cover, to some degree, all you have mentioned at one cost

He will have to do the AOW course, in order to enroll on the deep and wreck courses.

...will permit you do do deep dives which include wrecks

It's not a case of permission anywhere in the world. However, some dive operations may have self-imposed customer safety standards that prevent divers from participating in dives that are beyond their training and experience.

With particular regard to the Deep and Wreck courses, the speciality training goes considerably further in skills and knowledge development than the single 'adventure dive' on the AOW course.

Most importantly, these courses can provide divers with the knowledge of the varying risks specifically associated with these activities and provide them with the skills, procedures and mindset to mitigate those risks.

IMHO, these courses can provide a wealth of critical skills and knowledge to the developing diver... but it is vital that the potential customer fully researches his course providers and training location, to ensure that the maximum benefit is gained from the course. The quality of this training is very variable (a sad indictment of the scuba industry in general) and a badly taught course, with an ill-motivated instructor can be an outright waste of money and time.

Personally, I'd skip the drift and navigation. These can be learned from experience, practice, and snooping through the AOW manual.

I'd recommend Nitrox, or maybe Drysuit, and follow up with Wreck or Deep if you're still interested. But get your books in advance, study and do the KRs.

Last edited:
Why are people recommending AOW when he already must have AOW ?!

The Navigation Specialty should be a mandatory Specialty (along with Deep) for Master Scuba Diver (like AOW's required Deep and Navigation dives).

I think the "average" Navigation Specialty involves more "learning/teaching" than any other "average" PADI Specialty. I feel the same way for "good" versions of PADI specialties as well. :D

I agree nav is one of the more useful speciality courses. Its one of the few that teaches useful new skills.

Back
Top Bottom