PADI Open Water Crew Pack needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My friend of mine is moving to Honduras. He is planning to learn how to dive over there. I did some research and found out that diving centres require new divers to have the PADI Open Water Crew Pack. I was wondering if anyone has one of these packs, and is willing to sell it?

If so, please contact me!

Thanks!

1) PADI standards require all students to have a 'to keep' personal copy of the relevant manual. The crew pack is more than just the manual - the extra stuff is not mandatory.

2) Virtually all PADI dive centers will provide the manual/crew pack as part of the course costs.

3) You can buy a PADI manual/crew pack from virtually any PADI Dive Center, Resort or Retailer.

4) PADI manuals typically come with 'PIC Credit' for certification. This can be either an envelope/mail application or an electronic one. This is what the PADI instructor/center uses to apply for your certification card when the course is complete.

5) If you buy your own copy of the manual/crew pack, make sure it has a paper PIC envelope inside - otherwise you will pay again for PIC credit as part of training costs.

6) Buying a PIC credit alone is almost as expensive as buying a Manual/Crew Pack with PIC credit included.

7) You also need to confirm with the appropriate dive center HOW they teach the Open Water course. Some use tables, some use dive computers and some use an electronic dive planner (eRDP ML). There are relevant supplements etc...or specific 'crew packs' for each method of teaching the course.

In short... it's easiest to just let the hosting dive center provide you with the correct materials for the course they will teach you. There is some fair expectation that they will/should do that as a matter of course...

1) PADI standards require all students to have a 'to keep' personal copy of the relevant manual. The crew pack is more than just the manual - the extra stuff is not mandatory.

2) Virtually all PADI dive centers will provide the manual/crew pack as part of the course costs.
Not true here. It is an additional cost.

3) You can buy a PADI manual/crew pack from virtually any PADI Dive Center, Resort or Retailer.
very true. You can also just do PADI elearning.Stil will need a RDP of some sort and a log book.

4) PADI manuals typically come with 'PIC Credit' for certification. This can be either an envelope/mail application or an electronic one. This is what the PADI instructor/center uses to apply for your certification card when the course is complete.
Maybe where you are..Not here in the states.

5) If you buy your own copy of the manual/crew pack, make sure it has a paper PIC envelope inside - otherwise you will pay again for PIC credit as part of training costs.
Again, PIC's are not included here in the states.

6) Buying a PIC credit alone is almost as expensive as buying a Manual/Crew Pack with PIC credit included.
Nope..a crewpack sells for $67. with a eRDPml here in the states. A PIC is a fraction of that cost. Most LDS charge about $25. and include it as part of the course fee.

7) You also need to confirm with the appropriate dive center HOW they teach the Open Water course. Some use tables, some use dive computers and some use an electronic dive planner (eRDP ML). There are relevant supplements etc...or specific 'crew packs' for each method of teaching the course.

In short... it's easiest to just let the hosting dive center provide you with the correct materials for the course they will teach you. There is some fair expectation that they will/should do that as a matter of course...
Good idea to contact the facility and see what they say.

In Honduras, I've seen well-worn PADI books being lent to budget-minded backpacker types. I guess it's bending the rules, though I didn't know it at the time. But if your friend is moving there, I don't know why there would be a problem buying the materials once he's there.

If the dive center can't afford to keep a few PADI books on the rack, imagine the rental line... I'm just sayin'.

Maybe where you are..Not here in the states.

I'm surprised the PADI price list would vary so much regionally... but then, I've never taught a course in the USA...

Again, PIC's are not included here in the states.

It isn't an option to buy combined there? Not sure if the 'shop' on the PADI 'pros' website I see is just regional then?

In Honduras, I've seen well-worn PADI books being lent to budget-minded backpacker types. I guess it's bending the rules, though I didn't know it at the time. But if your friend is moving there, I don't know why there would be a problem buying the materials once he's there.

More than 'bending the rules', it's an outright standard. As book/materials sales is one of PADI's prime incomes, it's a standard they take very seriously. It can reflect in disciplinary measures. Dive centers can be audited to compare manuals sales with PIC applications... here in the Philippines, the sale of PIC credits without manuals has to be authorized by the PADI Regional Manager..

I'm surprised the PADI price list would vary so much regionally... but then, I've never taught a course in the USA...

It isn't an option to buy combined there? Not sure if the 'shop' on the PADI 'pros' website I see is just regional then?

More than 'bending the rules', it's an outright standard. As book/materials sales is one of PADI's prime incomes, it's a standard they take very seriously. It can reflect in disciplinary measures. Dive centers can be audited to compare manuals sales with PIC applications... here in the Philippines, the sale of PIC credits without manuals has to be authorized by the PADI Regional Manager..
Because of such pratices of loaning materials in Honduras I understand that a hologram decal must be submitted with PICS. It is considered not following standards if divers do not either own a manual or have access to elearning.Decal is included in manual. No decal no cerification.

I know there was a decal/hologram with IDC crewpacks when I qualified as an instructor. I've read that process/requirement now applied to DM applications too. Are you saying that in your region ALL courses come with a decal/hologram to show proof of purchase of materials?

Oly can you also confirm these prices. Manuals are 50% more here. Pics cost 100% more. Pics are included with manuals.
These prices are the main reason why PADI is losing more and more ground to SSI...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom