PADI/NAUI Interaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI S&P 1996 edition, pages 2.92 (rev 1-04) indicates that you must hold a NAUI DM or NAUI AI, or have completed NAUI PREP within 12 months and have 50 logged dives that are varied in environment, depth and activities.

That's the latest revision as of January 2008.

OK, I was wrong ... but what's quoted above is the prerequisite to enroll in the instructor class ... not to complete it. Nowhere in either the standards or the leadership manual did I find a specified number for completion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK, I was wrong ... but what's quoted above is the prerequisite to enroll in the instructor class ... not to complete it. Nowhere in either the standards or the leadership manual did I find a specified number for completion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

add the min to enter with the min. ow dives required for the ITC and you have your answer:wink:

I think part of what you are missing here is that the Divemaster/Dive Con courses are loaded with agency spacific instruction on the standards, paperwork, teaching methods and other stuff that is not interchangable between agencies.

It is not all about how to be a good guide on a dive or who to be a commanding presence on the deck of the dive boat.

Also, PADI will get you there faster, but NAUI will give you the knowledge and mentoring to be effective. I am still trying to figure out SSI and ANDI.

cant speak for SSI bit for ANDI, there is a minimum time period at each level.. DM in training, DM then assistent instructor...

to become a DM the canditate needs to assist in at least 1 class for each recreational rating besides meeting other standards..

before progressing to an AI a person needs to work as a DM for 3 months (assisting in each recreational program) under an experienced instructor, this instructor can now recommend the diver to become an AI, once an AI they need to work under an experienced instructor for 3 months before they can be recommended to be evaluated by an IT..

OK, I was wrong ... but what's quoted above is the prerequisite to enroll in the instructor class ... not to complete it.

And I was also wrong; your statement that a NAUI Instructor is comparable to a PADI MSDT should have led to me saying;

The quickest a Typical new PADI MSDT is allowed to teach ~8 specialties is after 130-150 dives while a NAUI Instructor could be teaching EVERY Specialty after only half that many dives. :coffee:

halemanō;5425344:
And I was also wrong; your statement that a NAUI Instructor is comparable to a PADI MSDT should have led to me saying;

The quickest a Typical new PADI MSDT is allowed to teach ~8 specialties is after 130-150 dives while a NAUI Instructor could be teaching EVERY Specialty after only half that many dives. :coffee:

Hey, nice job taking my comments out of context.

What I said was ...

NWGratefulDiver:
So a NAUI AI is at a similar level to a PADI DM ... and a NAUI DM is somewhere between the level of a PADI AI and OWSI ... and a NAUI instructor is at the level of a PADI MSDT.
Nowhere did I say anything about the number of dives involved. If you want to make that comparison, what say we start a different conversation ... so that you can't then turn around and dispute something I didn't say?

I really hate it when people stuff words in my mouth in some useless attempt to start an argument ... :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm pretty comfortable right here in this thread, where you made the original comment you are so offended that I stuffed words in your mouth over.

Please explain how my paraphrasing your statement of....

".....and a NAUI instructor is at the level of a PADI MSDT."

into "...your statement that a NAUI Instructor is comparable to a PADI MSDT..." is stuffing words in your mouth?

Evidently you do not agree with my reading comprehension of "...is at the level of..." being nearly the same as "...is comparable to..."

The context of your original statement was you saying PADI DM was not really comparable to NAUI DM, and then you seemed to list the levels that are comparable;

First off, let's define some terms here ... because the PADI and NAUI leadership progressions use some same terms to mean different things.

PADI leadership progression is ... divemaster (DM) -> assistant instructor (AI) -> open water scuba instructor (OWSI) -> master scuba diver trainer (MSDT)

NAUI leadership progression is ... assistant instructor (AI) -> divemaster (DM) -> instructor

So a NAUI AI is at a similar level to a PADI DM ... and a NAUI DM is somewhere between the level of a PADI AI and OWSI ... and a NAUI instructor is at the level of a PADI MSDT.

So comparing a NAUI DM to a PADI DM isn't really analagous ... the NAUI DM has received more training and is allowed to do more things, including teaching and supervising at levels that a PADI DM is not.(Grateful Diver)

Your words directly following what I paraphrased are "So comparing..." It seems to me that in the context of what you typed you were saying NAUI instructor is comparable to PADI MSDT. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom