PADI laying off staff and maintaining fees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
No desire to start a debate here, but I remember reading somewhere that PADI was not giving any discount to member fees during the pandemic, and was also laying off staff, to improve profitability. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Sources greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is from the most recent Undercurrent email update:

"Put Another Dollar In. Drew Richardson, CEO of PADI, drew some flack when he announced to members and dive centers that PADI was successfully improving corporate profitability by firing employees and charging full membership fees for 2020. At a time when the industry is facing decimation of its regional dive centers through travel restrictions brought about by the pandemic, it spawned both angry and satirical responses on social media."

I've been reading his monthly article in Undersea Journal for years. The man really should go into politics. He has the perfect blend of spin, wordsmithing, and cherry-picking facts to fit the reality he is trying to portray. I've come to realize that you can't really trust a thing he says.

Other agencies seem to really be working hard to figure out how to help their dive centers and instructors. I see that from SDI and SSI. PADI as always is focused on how to protect the PADI profit machine.

I will not be renewing my PADI Pro membership this year. I've been very close to not renewing for the past several years. This has pushed me over that ledge.

And I was just pissed off a few years ago when they no longer gave members the Sport Diver mag. in printed form. In the name of ecology. But it was fine for the Diving Society to provide it to those who pay for their membership in the Society.

Everybody seems to be mad at PADI, but the bulk of their revenue is not professional fees: it's regular diver cert costs like e-learning and crew packs that they really live off of. They are feeling the economic pinch along with the rest of the world and have to cut back to maintain their profits. This has been bad all around.

Fortunately no other companies furloughed staff due to covid.

Also better to disregard the discount on course materials that started in March.
And most certainly forget the 25 free elearning packages I received last week from PADI.

So....let's continue the negativity!
:popcorn:

This is from the most recent Undercurrent email update:

"Put Another Dollar In. Drew Richardson, CEO of PADI, drew some flack when he announced to members and dive centers that PADI was successfully improving corporate profitability by firing employees and charging full membership fees for 2020. At a time when the industry is facing decimation of its regional dive centers through travel restrictions brought about by the pandemic, it spawned both angry and satirical responses on social media."
Ah, that was it. No reference to any source, though. You'd think if this was an announcement there would be more information than a blurb in a newsletter. Everyone needs to adjust under these circumstances, but the action taken by PADI, if true, is pretty damning, in my opinion.

I'd agree PADI hasn't done much in the past to endear themselves, but laying off workers is a pretty average covid response for any business interested in staying in the black. And IMO bonus points for not raising fees and keeping them the same.
Disclaimer: All my certs are through NAUI and SDI, so I really don't care. Just an observation.

Ah, that was it. No reference to any source, though. You'd think if this was an announcement there would be more information than a blurb in a newsletter. Everyone needs to adjust under these circumstances, but the action taken by PADI, if true, is pretty damning, in my opinion.
If you’d like I can dig up the letter from Drew where he says that he is laying off staff and maintaining member pricing to maintain profitability if you’d like...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom