PADI in Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TX_TC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New Member here.

Please pardon me if I violate some rules I'm not familiar with.

My wife, and I are headed to Punta Cana this summer, and want to take the practical side of the PADI Open Water Certification,

I have talked (email) with the Dressel Diver's, and Happy Dive Center businesses about teaching the practicals.

Are both qualified to teach the PADI course? (I'm leery of what people will promise me from 1000s of miles away...)

Which, in your opinion, would be better? (I know which one is more expensive!!)

Thanks,

TX_TC

Close to Punta Cana is a town called Bayahibe with waay better diving.

Give an op called Scuba Fun a call. The are a top notch shop with exceptional staff.

My wife and I got certified in Punta Cana several years ago. We went with Pelicano Sports, and were happy overall.

I will say the diving in Punta Cana is really not that good... but we were there anyways, and took advantage of the chance to get certified in warm water, as opposed to locally in cold, green water...

I have dived with Dressel in Cozumel. I found them to be very competent and capable.

Scubaquatics was great in Punta cana and bayahibe, didnt care for the DM to Catalina island though.

Dressel would be the logistical best place, (VERY close to where we are staying...) but they are pretty pricey! I'm learning towards Happy Diving Center, but I'm leery that they aren't a "PADI Dive Center", although their representative tells me they have a PADI "Freelance Instructor" on their staff. I was just curious if this was "on the up & up".....Any thoughts? I don't want to spend a bunch of money, and my attempt be futile with what was needed.

The diving in the Punta Cana area is bad, it faces the Atlantic ocean. The best diving is out of Bayahibe, it is on the south coast and faces the Caribbean sea. It is about 45 min to an hour from Punta Cana. I always dive with John from ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe. They are a 5 star PADI dive center. He is probably the most recommended dive shop in the DR on here. You will have a much better dive experience if you are willing to travel a bit.

^^^

Yes! When I was going to the DR I took the same advice above and dove out of Bayahibe.

Scuba Fun is at the top of dive shops in the Caribbean. You are too new in your career to understand the range in shop quality. Dressel is fine but average. I have dove with them in Jamaica and Cozumel. There are just better ops to dive with.

If you dive in Bayahibe with Scuba Fun. Ask to dive Viva Shallows. Its in 25 feet of water. There is a sunken pirate ship but only the dozen or so cannons and anchors remain. You can travel all over the Caribbean and not see cannons again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom