PADI gift certificate or talk to local shop first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinnMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If I want to help a relative get certified (PADI is the local option), should I wait to find out the price from her local shop or just get a PADI gift certificate?

I can't help but suspect that the local shop might be cheaper, or may include some other kind of options the gift card does not cover.

If I want to help a relative get certified (PADI is the local option), should I wait to find out the price from her local shop or just get a PADI gift certificate?

I can't help but suspect that the local shop might be cheaper, or may include some other kind of options the gift card does not cover.

What about a gift certificate for the local shop? They may even have a gift certificate option just for the OW class.

Gift cert a good idea if I was even close enough to call, but not doable in this case.
I need her to select from among several local shops, and my buying from the shop isn’t something I can easily and safely do from 3000 miles away. I’ll let her choose the shop and negotiate what she wants (classroom vs. ELearning, etc).

Where does she live? The best shop for instruction might not be PADI.

Sorry, not willing to answer for privacy reasons (a small place) but Internet searching has shown that PADI is the only game in town.

Fair enough. Have you talked to her about it? Maybe she would prefer to get the cert elsewhere during her holidays or something.

I'm kind of anti-gift certificate. Most of the gift certificates I've been given have ended up partially or totally unused. Cash (account transfer in your case) and a discussion over what is is meant for may be a better alternative.

You know... cash is kind of like a gift certificate issued by the government that can be used anywhere. Far more valuable than a certificate that can only be used at one place.

My two cents...

Two cents, that's worth at least two bucks

and send the cash to your relative FinnMom to empower them without the third person toing and froing

If you are personally unfamiliar with the PADI dive shop near your relative, I would visit it -or have a trusted individual do it - before spending any money, so that you can check it out and feel comfortable with the facilities and the instructor(s). Look over rental/student equipment, the pool used, classroom in the shop, the equipment brands carried, air station, repairs offered, etc.

As you know, diving education is not a fungible item, but much more of a relationship between the instructor and student. If you do not feel that the shop is up to your standards, don't purchase an education package from them.

If you are personally unfamiliar with the PADI dive shop near your relative, I would visit it -or have a trusted individual do it - before spending any money, so that you can check it out and feel comfortable with the facilities and the instructor(s). Look over rental/student equipment, the pool used, classroom in the shop, the equipment brands carried, air station, repairs offered, etc.

As you know, diving education is not a fungible item, but much more of a relationship between the instructor and student. If you do not feel that the shop is up to your standards, don't purchase an education package from them.

You may have missed that @FinnMom is 3K miles away from her relative and the dive shop local to said relative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom