PADI - Enriched Air (Nitrox) Diver - Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avfcmichael

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Don't know if any of you would be able to help me out...

I see you can do this course online now with PADI from their website, and nearly everywhere sells this as a classroom only course (some with 2 dives with nitrox - which I know are not needed to get the cert).

If you do the coursework online is there no need what-so-ever to do the classroom based part?
Do you get the cert/card from just completing it online, or do you have to complete at a dive centre as there is stuff like analyzing Oxygen levels?

Many thanks,

Mike

It’s eLearning with some classroom time. If anyone tells you that you can get a nitrox cert without the classroom time, run away! You have to learn hands on how to analyze tanks.

Minimum at the shop is a 10 question quiz and analyze/log two tanks. Expect some extra discussion, also. I tell folks to figure about an hour with me.

I just completed Nitrox recently at my LDS. I wouldn't bother with the online class for this one. You'll spend more money and you still need to do the test in a shop. The class only took about an hour and a half. Just pick up your book ahead of time and have the knowledge review completed beforehand.

I wouldn't say it's useless in general. I think its a good idea if you are traveling for a cert such as OW or AOW so that you can get the bulk of the book work out of the way before your vacation. But for Nitrox yeah it's pretty pointless.

I second the above posters - it is more worthwhile actually going in and doing the training. You IIRC must use an analyser and test some tanks to get the certificate so you ae going to end up in the shop anyway. For the additional time in the shop to listen to the instructor and watch the video it is worth it if for no other reason than to have the chance to ask questions.

If it takes more than 2hrs the instructor is either useless or you are doing too much chatting!:rofl3:

I've encouraged several buddies to get their Nitrox certifications. They all had pretty much the same experience in at least 3 different states.

Online course which took 2-3 hours followed by a brief visit to a local dive shop to analyze a couple of tanks and take a brief quiz.

That's all you need, Nitrox isn't rocket science.

I was going to do Nitrox with my dive shop but I learned that for the same price I can do it on my dive trip and get free nitrox for the entire trip. This will save me 10/tank on the trip which adds up. I am not sure if this is common. Just another thing to think about.

I second the above posters - it is more worthwhile actually going in and doing the training. You IIRC must use an analyser and test some tanks to get the certificate so you ae going to end up in the shop anyway. For the additional time in the shop to listen to the instructor and watch the video it is worth it if for no other reason than to have the chance to ask questions.

If it takes more than 2hrs the instructor is either useless or you are doing too much chatting!:rofl3:

Not if the instructor is also covering additional information. Even if a student does the online portion it's not going to save them much time with me. We are still going to go over EAD, MOD, best mix, CNS, and OTU calculations and have them do multiple examples. While I can teach the computer only class, I don't. The computer and short review quiz only tell me they got the answer right. It doesn't tell me they actually understand how and why they got it.
With most students 3-4 hours is about right. It also depends on the individual. If someone has problems with math, it takes a little longer. To make a blanket statement like the 2-hour one is on the verge of insulting to the student and the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom