Padi-EFR refresher.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey folks My Padi EFR has just expired after 2 years. The LDS has informed me I need to redo the entire course.
Padi say I need to do a refresher.Which is true ?

Frosty
I have noticed that there are not a lot of refreshers out there for the EFR program but that is all you need . I just make sure when I teach a refresher that I update the student on any changes that have happened in the EMS world since their last class.

Cheers

Technically, you need a refresher but most dive centres do not offer these, they just run the course again.

They could give you a discount though, especially if you have current materials, you do not need to buy manuals twice.

Technically, you need a refresher but most dive centres do not offer these, they just run the course again.

In the US, a refresher course is comprised of the Skill Development and Exam sessions of the regular course. It is very common for instructors/shops to have refresher students simply join those sections of a full EFR course, which is even recommended in the EFR Instructor Manual. Accordingly, any shop that offers EFR essentially offers "a refresher course" too, even if they don't know it. Given that a refresher student doesn't need to attend the knowledge development or scenario portions of the course (or new materials) there's no reason to charge the same for a refresher as for the full course.

Do note that there are often differences in EFR/First Aid/CPR certification and refresher requirements between different countries, based on local regulations. Below is from the EFR Instructor Manual in the US.

Emergency First Response Refresher Courses

Emergency First Response Refresher Courses are for people who have received training in CPR and/or first aid and want to refresh their training. Encourage your Emergency Responders to take refresher courses at least every 24 months.

Prerequisites - any previous CPR and/or first aid training (Emergency First Response or other).

Course Content - You can off er refresher training in Primary/Secondary Care together or separately.

Follow the Skill Development segment of the course(s) the participant needs refreshed. You can do this by having Refresher Course participants join the skill development portion of a regular class or you may conduct a stand alone refresher course. Be sure to also review any new developments or changes to primary care or secondary care techniques since participants last completed training. Keep in mind that this is an opportunity to teach or refresh skills on AED and Emergency Oxygen Use as well. Participants must take the exam for the course they are refreshing.

Materials Requirements: Reference required and recommended materials for the individual course you are teaching.

Recognition: When participants successfully complete an Emergency First Response Refresher Course, submit the appropriate Course Completion Authorization (Primary Care (CPR) and/or Secondary Care (First Aid) to your Emergency First Response Regional Headquarters. Participants will receive a new card(s) for the course they refreshed, showing that their skills for that course are current.

I haven't studied up on this, but have done EFR and another accepted agency's course a total of 4 times now. Our shop requires you are CPR/first aid certified every two years to work there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong---I don't believe PADI requires anything more than the initial taking of EFR, etc. within a year or so of Rescue Diver course, and perhaps with in a year or two of doing the DM course. After that, I THINK you have to do what your boss says you have to do if you want to work there, no? I would guess that if you got DM certified then didn't work for 10 years but now wanted to, you would just have to take EFR once if the shop says so (even though you didn't take it for 10 years).

In otherwords, I THINK you could maintain your active DM status by just paying your yearly membership fee--I've never heard from PADI requesting I send them something showing I am currently EFR certified. I know they require EFR Instructors to pay a yearly cert. renewal fee--that is why I am not an EFR Instructor. It would cost more that just taking the course every 2 years.

I don't believe PADI requires anything more than the initial taking of EFR, etc. within a year or so of Rescue Diver course, and perhaps with in a year or two of doing the DM course.

For DM you need to have completed EFR within 24mo prior to DM certification.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 06:45 AM ----------

hey folks My Padi EFR has just expired after 2 years. The LDS has informed me I need to redo the entire course.
Padi say I need to do a refresher.Which is true ?

Per above, the PADI Instructor Manual requires "At time of certification, verify that the candidate has completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care within 24 months."

It doesn't say "...or refresher..." in the requirements.

Seems like your shop is correct.

So, is the 2 year re-taking the course (or refresher) only a requirement of (most) shops, or:
Is it a requirement of PADI in order to have them list you as an "active" DM whether you actually work or not?

There is nothing I can find in IM stating specifically that EFR refresher is mandatory for being in "active" status - either for DM or AI/I. But there are several inter-dependencies, such as...

• To become an OW scuba instructor, you need to be a current EFR instructor. To become an EFR instructor, you need to be current/renewed in your EFR
  • While it doesn't look like an OWSI must remain an EFR instructor (nothing seems to say so specifically) if you did want to remain an EFR instructor you would need to remain current/renewed in your EFR
  • A DM can be an EFR instructor (but doesn't have to be) and, as mentioned above, an EFR instructor needs to be current/renewed for EFR.

Thanks. I have been told that in order to keep EFR Instructor status you can qualify by teaching one course per year instead of actually taking EFR yourself. Unimportant, but have you heard this?

Thanks. I have been told that in order to keep EFR Instructor status you can qualify by teaching one course per year instead of actually taking EFR yourself. Unimportant, but have you heard this?

Here's what the EFR instructor instructor manual says - in its entirety - about renewal...

Emergency First Response® Instructor Renewal Requirements

To maintain authorization to teach, you must renew your Emergency First Response Instructor rating every two years and agree to stay up-to-date with Emergency First Response course standards and implement any changes announced in The Responder.

If your renewal lapses and the term of your Emergency First Response Instructor credential expires, contact your Emergency First Response Regional Headquarters for information on how you can reactivate your authorization to teach.

You may need to fulfill other requirements such as attending a refresher, if local requirements must be met or major program revisions or significant standards changes occur. Where legally required for official recognition, other renewal requirements may apply. Check your Emergency First Response Instructor Renewal Application for specifics or contact your Emergency First Response Regional Headquarters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom