PADI E-learning - How long to complete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNBobcat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be signing up for the PADI E-learning course. I'll take my pool training here locally (probably in about two weeks) and then my open water dives will be in the Florida keys the middle of next month.

I don't learn very well (anymore) by having people instruct me verbally. As I've gotten older, I find much of what a lot of people say to be ambiguous to the point where its not always clear to me what they are saying. They phrase things in a way that could mean two different things. I'm sure its more so my problem than their's but for me to clearly understand what they mean I have to keep stopping them and asking for clarification.

Whereas, I learn exceptionally well by reading. So for me, e-learning is a great fit.

MY plan is to take the classroom part by e-learning. Then I'll learn everything I can in the pool sessions and via the OW diving. Then, knowing that the e-learning and limited dive time doesn't prepare me to dive, I'll take additional instruction and training. But we all have to start somewhere. :)

So...my question is...on average about how long does the e-learning course take to complete? I know we all work at different speeds, but for a quick learner can I figure maybe 10 hours to complete?

I believe it is self paced. But it concerns me that you feel it and the time you will have in the pool and on your ow dives will not prepare you to dive. Why would you put money into something like that when there are courses and instructors that will allow you to do just that. By combining different methods of teaching along with self study and time to absorb the material you would be able to dive independent of a professional with another well trained buddy. I specialize in teaching people that have difficulties. Stopping me to ask questions and clarify things is what you are supposed to do. An instructor who has a problem with this is the problem. I want to see you get the material and not have to waste and yes I said waste money on getting the stuff you should have gotten in your basic training.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. This fits with my schedule and my planned vacation. I'm not worried about the money aspect. All I meant was its just a start and if I enjoy it as much as I expect that I'll probably get many other certifications. I'll probably explore other options of training besides PADI, too.

My interest isn't reef diving...I'm more interested in exploring wrecks and looking for undiscovered wrecks. This winter I'm going to build an ROV to use in the river and local lakes, too.

I was skeptical about eLearning in the beginning. I have found through using it, that the students who utilize eLearning are just as prepared or more so than ones who read the book and watch the video. They get to read, watch videos and hear lecture during the course. I can interact with students via a virtual classroom to answer questions, post messages and more, plus they can always call or email me. I feel that they come ready to learn, and I can spend more time on the physical aspects of teaching. I believe it is the way of the future, and I support it. Students say it takes 8-12 hours to complete.

Last edited:
Hi Bobcat,
All of the elearning students I have recieved were very well prepared. Give yourself 1-2 hours per each of the 5 sections with a bit of leeway if you need more review/re-read time. Some folks need less time of course. Everyone learns at their own speed in their own manner. I agree with Jim, that a good instructor will fill in all the gaps/answer your questions/give feedback in multiple ways to help you become a safe proficient diver.

You have an excellent attitude. OW courses are just the beginning of the learning. Once you complete your OW course, dive, dive, dive, and then take more courses. Find some mentors/dive buds to keep you diving often and help you work through the fine-tuning of skills that comes only with diving experience.

Who are you completing your OW training dives with? Yes there are lots of wrecks to see here. in Key Largo. I'm a big fan of heaps of twisted metal :D.

Best of luck on your training. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions regarding Key Largo. There are many fine dive ops here. Please drop by and say Hi while you are in the Keys.

My wife and I did both the OW and AOW eLearning programs in 12-14 hours. Then 5 days of diving in Cancun to get the cards, 5 more days of diving with no goal other than to have fun and practice, and suddenly... we were addicted, and planning our next trip while on the plane home.

My interest isn't reef diving...I'm more interested in exploring wrecks and looking for undiscovered wrecks. This winter I'm going to build an ROV to use in the river and local lakes, too.

If you have that degree of commitment (and technical skill) what you are going to study in the OW course will not be an intellectual challenge…should you to take academics via e-Learning, the proper books, or smoke signals from your local dive shop.

Some students take the final exam a few hours after removing the shrink-wrap from their materials.

The course has been created to appeal to the most common denominator.

Not meant to be an agency dig, it's just the reality of scuba education these days.

Who are you completing your OW training dives with? Yes there are lots of wrecks to see here. in Key Largo. I'm a big fan of heaps of twisted metal :D.

Best of luck on your training. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions regarding Key Largo. There are many fine dive ops here. Please drop by and say Hi while you are in the Keys.

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the good wishes. :) I haven't signed up with anyone in particular for the OW but right now I'm leaning towards going with Rainbow Reef. Horizon Divers is another possibility.

I don't want to schedule the OW until we have our flights and lodging booked. Its my wife and I and another couple. None of them have an interest in Scuba. We're planning on staying at Estero Island. Apparently the quickest way from there to the keys is by boat. So I'll have to leave everyone and make my way to the keys. Dive the first day, stay overnight and complete my OW on the second day and then head back. I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot more fun then they will! :banana:

I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot more fun then they will! :banana:

YES! You will!!! :dancingsnoopy:

I believe it is self paced. But it concerns me that you feel it and the time you will have in the pool and on your ow dives will not prepare you to dive. Why would you put money into something like that when there are courses and instructors that will allow you to do just that. By combining different methods of teaching along with self study and time to absorb the material you would be able to dive independent of a professional with another well trained buddy. I specialize in teaching people that have difficulties. Stopping me to ask questions and clarify things is what you are supposed to do. An instructor who has a problem with this is the problem. I want to see you get the material and not have to waste and yes I said waste money on getting the stuff you should have gotten in your basic training.

Ever heard the sentence:"A good diver never stops learning."?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom