PADI e-learning expiration during lockdown.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So according to the terms of the e-learning program

PADI eLearning programs are valid for 12 months from the time you first log on.

My procrastinating teenage niece just completed her e-learning program but because of the pandemic lockdown, etc. she probably won't be able to complete the pool/open water sessions before the above expiration date. Does the pool/open water need to be completed within that 12 months? I'm assuming so. If so, is there any chance or plans for any kind of extension? If the scuba shops were open, she would have been able to complete it...

So according to the terms of the e-learning program

PADI eLearning programs are valid for 12 months from the time you first log on.

My procrastinating teenage niece just completed her e-learning program but because of the pandemic lockdown, etc. she probably won't be able to complete the pool/open water sessions before the above expiration date. Does the pool/open water need to be completed within that 12 months? I'm assuming so. If so, is there any chance or plans for any kind of extension? If the scuba shops were open, she would have been able to complete it...
When your niece signed up she associated with an instructor or dive center. Contact them (many dive centers are still answering email) and ask them. I think there are various things that can be done in these trying times.

When your niece signed up she associated with an instructor or dive center. Contact them (many dive centers are still answering email) and ask them. I think there are various things that can be done in these trying times.

Thanks. I contacted them before and they just told me to contact PADI, which I did but have yet to receive any response.

Thanks. I contacted them before and they just told me to contact PADI, which I did but have yet to receive any response.
Usually better to call PADI.

I have looked through some of the updates and the PADI Americas Covid-19 Hub. They are indicating after eLearning completion...not first log on. Do you know what day your niece completed her eLearning course?

"With a period of 12 months after the eLearning completion, there will be plenty of time to finish up the remaining portion of the course. Once it is safe to do so, of course."

Every Instructor and shop has a Regional Training Consultant that they can communicate with. Placing the burden of contacting PADI on the customer shows a lack of customer service in my opinion. The shop your niece associated with when the eLearning was purchased did get some income from the transaction.

I will see what additional details I can find out.

I have looked through some of the updates and the PADI Americas Covid-19 Hub. They are indicating after eLearning completion...not first log on. Do you know what day your niece completed her eLearning course?

Thanks! It was completed just a couple days ago, but she first started it or logged on a while ago, 11 months maybe?

Every Instructor and shop has a Regional Training Consultant that they can communicate with. Placing the burden of contacting PADI on the customer shows a lack of customer service in my opinion.

Agreed. Although, I'm pretty sure the person I was talking to was just some stock clerk kid or something.

Thanks! It was completed just a couple days ago, but she first started it or logged on a while ago, 11 months maybe?

Agreed. Although, I'm pretty sure the person I was talking to was just some stock clerk kid or something.

I just spoke with my PADI Training Consultant. The 12 months is from the time she took the final exam. Depending on which eLearning course she took, the material "could" expire after 12 months and she will no longer have access to it. The dive shop can call PADI and have that extended if she needs it for additional review. This is not specific to Covid-19. PADI has extended the 12 month course time limits for deployed Service Members, for maternity reasons, etc. The material does not expire on the newer Open Water eLearning course.

Hopefully she picks up the certification class once it is again safe to start offering them.

My training consultant called me less that an hour after dropping her an email asking for clarification. It really is that easy and you should expect your dive center to do the same if they need clarification once your niece can start her training back up. I know the PADI Training Consultant for your area and he is just as quick at answering any member questions.

@seeker242, to parrot what some others are saying here, there are a number of options to extend the timeframe. The biggest concern will just be with knowledge retention as she'll need to be able to translate what she learned in the eLearning to the pool and open water.

Aside from that, I'd push back on the shop that you're planning to work with. If it was just a store clerk, I'm guessing the store manager and/or owner would like to know about it and help you out. However, if they are just going to shove you off to PADI and put the work on you, I'd question if that level of customer service is what you're going to want moving forward...it definitely isn't the kind of customer service that PADI promotes to their professionals.

I think that a lot of places, not only the dive certification agencies will have to rethink their time expiration policies due to this virus, especially if the restrictions go on.

For example my car is due for its 10,000 km or 4 month service interval late this month. I am near the 10,000 but not there and will not be there until after the time expires, I also am a 3 hour drive, normal conditions, away from the service shop and cannot get there due to travel restrictions. While Suzuki could void my warranty, it would be really bad business for them to do so.

If they void my warranty because of missed service interval time,I will even if I never need warranty repairs, buy or recommend a Suzuki product. Not only cars but bikes, snow machines. I am sure others will be doing the same.

The Philippine government, not known for logical thinking, has already stated that there would be no penalty or action taken against anyone not renewing a visa provided that they renew it within 30 days of the end of the lock down.

These sorts of reasonable policies will become common place or the firms (and certifying agencies) will suffer in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom