PADI DM Yearly Cost and Expiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Divemaster renewal in 1987 was $35
Every year it went up and I said I wasnt going to renew
Here I am all these years later and just joined the alumni

No need to name any facility, I have an idea who it may be when you said includes transportation. You forgot to add in training materials / DM crew pack and eLearning fees, that will bring it to closer to $2300+ By your accounting. Sounds very costly. I hope you get a good return on investment

Dude. Are you crazy? I'm doing my DM in Coz for half that including materials. Besides, I hate the quarry.

Just throwing this out-- I haven't worked since 2015, but then I only assisted on courses. My yearly insurance was significantly lower for just doing that. Something like $140 Canadian ($100 US?). With that insurance you aren't covered for leading dives or teaching any of the Divemaster-lead courses- like Discover Scuba, Review (ReActivate now?), etc. -- you can only assist. And again, that is from a company PADI deals with in Canada.
You can check on the current PADI membership fee cost and other stuff (course materials) with PADI or your shop.
The $300 I made for one OW course covered both my PADI & insurance fees for the year. I hope you intend to get paid to DM. I know, it's a rarity, probably because so many are willing to work for tips & perks.

DAN DM/DM in training liability insurance was $359/year as of this month, and that is an alternative to the PADI V&B insurance.

When looking at insurance costs, don't forget the need for a "tail" when you stop paying the annual premiums because you stop DMing. The policies are "claims made," meaning that they only cover claims made in the policy year. As claims can be brought many years beyond the date of whatever incident caused the claim, you could be covered at the time of the incident but have no coverage when the claim is finally made. To prevent that from happening, you have to purchase a "tail" to cover you for after you stop DMing.

PADI Divemaster renewal in 1987 was $35
Every year it went up and I said I wasnt going to renew
Here I am all these years later and just joined the alumni
ivy league college tuition in 1987 was 5K. Its now 60K.

When looking at insurance costs, don't forget the need for a "tail" when you stop paying the annual premiums because you stop DMing. The policies are "claims made," meaning that they only cover claims made in the policy year. As claims can be brought many years beyond the date of whatever incident caused the claim, you could be covered at the time of the incident but have no coverage when the claim is finally made. To prevent that from happening, you have to purchase a "tail" to cover you for after you stop DMing.
mostly true - depends on your insurer however.

I was just told that PADI is completely revamping the DM training and that the new course should be out in may. I’m curious as to what will be different. This came from the regional PADI rep.

ivy league college tuition in 1987 was 5K. Its now 60K.

Check your data.
My non-Ivy League tuition was $6K in 1980 in the midwest.
Pretty sure the smart kids in the east were paying more.

This is neat: Harvard lists their tuition for every year from 1985 to 2017. In 1987, it was $11k; in 2017, it was $43k. The latter number is actually lower than I would've thought. It's still double the rate after accounting for inflation, though.

Harvard College Tuition, Fees, Room, and Board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom