PADI DM final written exam scores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmrsjackson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to apologize if this has already been addressed, but I can find anything official (from the PADI web site) that states what the minimum required score is to pass the DM final written exams. I have seen 75% in multiple locations, but I can't seem to find anything on the PADI web site or the PADI instructor manual to verify that number. Would someone mind letting me know if the 75% minimum score is correct and let me know where to find it?

Thanks!

From the Guide to Teaching:

"The Divemaster Final Exam is divided into Part 1 and Part 2, and there are two versions of the exam – A and B. Each part contains 60 questions. Part 1 tests knowledge relating to supervising divers and instructional activities. Part 2 tests environmental and dive theory knowledge. Either administer the entire 120-question test, or have candidates take each part separately. Candidates who have completed Dive Theory Online within 12 months (eRecord is proof ) may receive credit for Part 2 of the exam. Candidates must score 75 percent on each part of the exam. Retest and remediate as necessary for mastery."

Just study the test until you know all of the questions and answers. Any testing authority that lets you take the test multiple times until you pass it only cares about your score, not your understanding of the knowledge. It isn't that big of a deal to pass or not pass the test, you just take it over and over again until you do, or until you have it memorized.

Just study the test until you know all of the questions and answers.

While a realistic answer -- assuming the ONLY goal is to pass the exam -- I find it a very sad one.

OP, how about actually, you know, LEARNING the material and being able to do the various calculations and understanding the basic physiology -- not to mention all the other stuff. You are training to become a "professional" in the dive industry and, believe it or not, students and others will actually be depending on you.

If, in fact, you know the material, the exams are trivial. But yes, you can just study the questions, learn the answers, and take and pass the exam -- if that is all you want to do.

While a realistic answer -- assuming the ONLY goal is to pass the exam -- I find it a very sad one.

OP, how about actually, you know, LEARNING the material and being able to do the various calculations and understanding the basic physiology -- not to mention all the other stuff. You are training to become a "professional" in the dive industry and, believe it or not, students and others will actually be depending on you.

If, in fact, you know the material, the exams are trivial. But yes, you can just study the questions, learn the answers, and take and pass the exam -- if that is all you want to do.
Peter -I understand where you are coming from and in broad general terms I agree 100% with you.
The challenge with padi exams or for that matter any exam is where there are yes/no or limited multi choice answers.
They want the exact and precise answer from the book/books. THAT isn't always. a reflection of the candidates knowledge more their ability to know/not know the answer Padi wants.
On that basis unfortunately it is about studying the answers THEY want which means rereading the material.
Im not referring to the parts on RMPD or tables where the answer can only be one thing and must be correct.
The GOOD news is that the exam is only a part of the DM training .
--Posted by a bloke in the middle of the DM study.

While I never had a problem finding the minimum score, I did want to know what it was. I think it unfair to assume the question implies wanting to attain the minimum knowledge. Perhaps they want to understand everything they can....including the minimum score....seems to me to indicate good planning of possible bad outcomes.
Good Luck.

Interesting side discussion. I was one of the last to do the "old" DM exams pre-2010 (8 tests, 20 questions each--I believe a 75 needed on each). I got 10 wrong out of 160 and know of some who did better. There is a good point made about answering the way PADI wants, etc. There is also the fact that PADI's wording of the odd question is open to interpretation (though I found this more true in other exams I took, like OW, Rescue and perhaps Nitrox). Anyway, I think both points are valid. Knowing all the knowledge is the goal, and memorizing what PADI wants you to memorize certainly can't hurt. I've heard that the "new" DM class has a lot less emphasis on physics and more on practical stuff (adding a Deep & S&R aspect). I would think this is not really a bad thing. I may have used 20-30% of the knowledge I gained in college while teaching Band the following 19 years. Fairly advanced physics and physiology (well, fairly advanced for ME), certainly can't hurt--no knowledge can hurt. However, I'm still waiting for that guy to offer $1,000 for me to lift and retrieve his $3K 100 lb. outboard from 100 fsw.

Back
Top Bottom