PADI Divemaster Internship in Palau!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkm2568

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Interested in becoming a dive professional, but having difficulty getting your foot in the door?

Weary of doing one of those 'turn and burn' 2-4 week Divemaster courses that just check off the list and don't really teach you anything? Well, we're here to change that. With us, you get the whole package, time on the boat, time in the shop, and all the time you need to be the best entry level pro on the market!

We have created an 8-10 week program designed to make you one of the most employable, entry-level scuba pros in the world. You'll be taught by some of the best, on a world class diving location. Palau Dive Adventures (PDA) is one of the top rated dive operations in all of Palau (according to TripAdvisor) and you'll be taught by the leading industry professionals that helped turn PDA into what it is today.

Our DM/Resort program is designed to take someone who knows little to nothing about the industry and turn them into an expert! Not only will you receive first class dive training; you'll learn how to engage the customers on the boat, in the shop, and underwater. We'll train you standard boatmanship, knot tying, etc. You'll learn advanced Navigation techniques. You'll learn how to read currents and water conditions. We'll teach you how to spot the difference between confident, strong divers, and the ones who need a little more attention.

You'll learn how each PADI Course works, Open Water, Advanced, Rescue, and the Discover Scuba Program. You'll assist with each of these courses multiple times. You'll also learn some specialty courses (and have the opportunity to be trained in) such as Nitrox, wreck, deep, Drift, among many more.

Accommodation will be covered by the candidate. However, we include unlimited diving for the duration of the course, in Palau.

As many of us know, Palau offers some of the best reef diving on the planet. Beautiful diving coupled with the beautiful scenery of the surrounding rock islands and the top-of-the-line training you'll receive make for one of the best Dive Internships around. Also, we are currently only taking on ONE candidate or couple at a time so you'll receive all the attention you need.

Some weekends and after-hours can be spent covering the theory, workbook, and knowledge reviews over a meal or drinks. Also, providing one on one time for Q&A.

Upon satisfactory mastery and completion of not only the PADI DM course but our high standards and performance expectations, we will sign you off, and send you out into the world as a confident new dive pro ready to prove what you know at any dive shop around the globe. We can provide references, recommendations, and perhaps in some rare cases we may even be able to get you a job somewhere, not necessarily with us but with one of the shops we have good relationships with, be them anywhere in the world.

Interested candidates should send cover letter, CV/Resume. Also, please include the word INTERNSHIP in the subject of the email . Please send emails to Pete at:

training@palaudiveadventures.com

Only, applicants who include all the criteria listed above will be considered. Only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted. The starting date for the next available course will be in early 2017. Thank you and we all look forward to working with you!!

Do you help with post-training employment?

I "graduated" from a very good and respected training center as a Divemaster. Yet I still had difficulty finding employment. Then after nearly a year the Training Manager for the most popular dive store in the metro Denver area told my when I tried to volunteer that my training at the 'other' mostlikely was not up to their standard and that the owner/Course Director prefers to use only A.I.s that are trained at their store. I put my sucker hat on and took their A.I. Course. Upon completing this course the training manager wouldn't even speak to me about volunteering...even to the point of avoiding me when I went into the store.

Luckily I found a different shop within a few month and they provided me with all the work I could find time for. I even did my IDC with them.

The point of my babbling is...no matter how good a training program is, there is no guarantee employment unless that is part of the internship...which I have not seen in the dive industry.

Do you help with post-training employment?

I "graduated" from a very good and respected training center as a Divemaster. Yet I still had difficulty finding employment. Then after nearly a year the Training Manager for the most popular dive store in the metro Denver area told my when I tried to volunteer that my training at the 'other' mostlikely was not up to their standard and that the owner/Course Director prefers to use only A.I.s that are trained at their store. I put my sucker hat on and took their A.I. Course. Upon completing this course the training manager wouldn't even speak to me about volunteering...even to the point of avoiding me when I went into the store.

Luckily I found a different shop within a few month and they provided me with all the work I could find time for. I even did my IDC with them.

The point of my babbling is...no matter how good a training program is, there is no guarantee employment unless that is part of the internship...which I have not seen in the dive industry.
You can't make a living working as DM. You might be able to pay for food and rent in some SE Asian countries and live a stundent-lifestyle. It's not a real job though, even as an instructor it's quite hard to make a living... the only people that can make some money in the industry are shop owners and some ITs/CDs .
What happend to you is quite common, unfortunately... shops, agengies and trainer are overselling these 'pro-courses' big time.

pkm256
do you have a course that takes you from padi rescue to DM? ...

i

I dove with Palau Dive Adventures two years ago (and plan to return next spring). They are a top notch operation in my book. Not to mention you'll do some of the best diving in the world!

How often will the DM be out with guests on boats during their time as internship? Interested to know....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom