PADI Destinations Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Been looking through my destinations guide 2001/2000 and I still can't beleive PADI do not know where Cuba is!!!

When are they going to drop the politics s**t and concentrate on diving?

There is supposed to be excellent unspoilt diving in Cuba, but PADI prefer not to acknowledge it.

I have also just received my UK PADI Destination guide, and what a load of rubbish that is too!

Does not list The Scilly Isles, Jersey, Guensey, and what it does cover isn't worth reading, all in all, it is a waste of space.

PADI claim to be a professional diving organisation, well they should put their mouth where their money is!

Drop politics, and open their eyes to the real world.

Pay for this, pay for that, they are even changing MFA so we need to pay for another course/cross over!

PADI is officially a US organisation.

There is an official US embargo on Cuba.

I suppose PADI has no right to implant there as long as the embargo is in place.

If I'm not mistaken, US tourists now have the right to visit the island, so things might change, hopefully so.

PADI is a US-based organization, regardless of where they have Local Area Offices. By Federal Law, they are not allowed to do business with Cuba. This MAY change in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That being said, PADI HQ has established this policy and we must abide by it, regardless of geographical location. For example, as Canadians we have always had access to Cuba. I know of some IDCs that were done there by Cdn CDs. However, PADI HQ indicated that this was not acceptable, and the practice was halted.

Yes, Amercans have recently been allowed to visit Cuba, but they are not allowed to bring any Cuba goods back or spend any appreciable amount of money there, or they risk hugely punative fines. In fact, there have been several incidents reported in the media about a senior's group who were fined after a trip to Cuba. Not to mention people being cited for bringing home those famous Cuban cigars.

There are no direct flights from the US to Cuba. People who want to visit go through Canada or Mexico.

Meanwhile, since we currently reside in the US, it's a moot point.

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom