PADI AOW Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I don't want to bother my private instructor. I have a few questions on the PADI AOW course I am sure someone here can help answer.

I paid for the class and bought the book and decided to do 1. Deep Diver (R) 2. Navigation (R) 3. Peak Performance Buoyancy 4. Wreck Diver and 5. Enriched Air Diver

Two Questions:

The PADI book has the requisite chapters for everything except Enriched Air Diver. Is there a separate course book for this one?

Also, now that I have completed all of the tests except for Enriched Air Diver, do I just show them to the instructor?

Thanks for helping me out, still figuring out how all of this works as I took my OW online and the tests results were scored and I printed the results to show I passed all of the OW course work.

Instructor will go over each unit quiz with you before you do the respective dive. enriched air diver is not a great elective for aow unless if you are doing it in combination with the full specialty because you need the full specialty to get the card for nitrox fills.

Yes, enriched air is a separate course.

Don't feel bad about asking your instructor questions, though; that's their job!

I concur with the other replies that enriched air diver is NOT one of the AOW electives. It is a specialty course. I completed my AOW in April so these electives are top of mind. As you know, the deep dive and navigation are mandatory courses for your AOW and you can choose another 3. Peak performance is highly recommended and I see it's on your list. Enjoy.

and your instructor might have different ideas about which dives you should do

There should be no problem discussing this with your instructor.

I agree with the others regarding nitrox. Simply add nitrox to the advanced course and use enriched air on each dive. Search and Recovery is a nice option. Night dive is also a good option.

Good luck!

If you want to get the EAN certification you will need to pay for it as a separate course and complete the course work and test. You can then do one of your AOW dives, the deep dive makes sense, using EAN. Then you will need to do a separate dive on EAN. That dive can be an actual ‘wet’ dive or a simulated dive.

You can do a maximum of three training dives in a day. So you could complete three AOW dives and the simulated dive in one day. The instructor is going to be breaking up the AOW dives into two days, it makes sense to me do the wet dive so you are doing three dives each day. It’s best to talk to your instructor about this.

D

EAN needs no dives so I wouldn't use up a training dive for that. In fact, I picked up EAN prior to considering AOW training.

Bob

Where and with whom you are diving would determine what’s officially available. The dive designations are for certification standards, but there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be working on buoyancy and trim on all dives. You could be working on compass and/or natural navigation on multiple dives. Maybe your deep dive might be to a wreck on a drift descent and ascent, possibly in low visibility. Maybe you’ll do four boat dives to a reef and count one as boat, one as drift, one as fish ID, one as deep. Most importantly would be to learn and gain experience with the aid of a good instructor. You might get a just ok instructor, in which case you get experience and what you would like to have learned so that you know how to get a good instructor. You might get an instructor who goes through the motions, in which case you get experience with a guide/DM and a card for not much more than a set of guided dives without a card. Then you’ll know what you would really want in your next instructor and be less shy in asking for it.

Thanks for all of the input and help. Lots of really good information here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom