Pacific Electric Ray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Right now I'm pretty fascinated by the pacific electric ray - torpedo californica. From what I've read, they can reach a size of over four feet long and ninety pounds. They can also deliver a 45 volt shock to a diver - possibly enough to render them unconscious. They are found only along the Pacific coast, and they look like a biological Starship Enterprise. I'd attach a picture, but that feature of SB is down right now :-(.

Has anyone on SB ever seen one of these things? Does anyone know a good place to go see them? Has anyone ever been SHOCKED by one?

Thanks,

John

yes, yes, and I've tried.
any more questions? :)

scott

(note, this photo I took was not cropped)
Torpedo1.sized.jpg

(in the sand)
PointDume20050905+033.jpg

Thanks Scott! Not sure why I can't post pictures or smilies right now. Did you take that picture? Where did you take it? That is one weird lookin' animal!

John

Check my web site for my archived newspaper columns. I wrote one about the torpedo ray a while back and it is there with pix. There have also been a few other threads on this on SB that you can locate through a search.

Very interesting species. I've run into ours as well as related species in other oceans. Shocking, absolutely shocking!

drbill:
Check my web site for my archived newspaper columns. I wrote one about the torpedo ray a while back and it is there with pix. There have also been a few other threads on this on SB that you can locate through a search.

Very interesting species. I've run into ours as well as related species in other oceans. Shocking, absolutely shocking!

Thanks DrBill. I will definitely check your website and do a search on SB. I was hoping you would weigh in on this one!

John

wetrat:
Thanks Scott! Not sure why I can't post pictures or smilies right now. Did you take that picture? Where did you take it? That is one weird lookin' animal!

John

yeah, I took both. first one wat at the avalon wreck, palos verdes, 73ft. second photo was at point dume pinnacles, 58ft, bottom of the outer pinnacle.

you can see more at
http://gallery.scubapost.net
just type "torpedo" into the search box

They can shock you, but neoprene should protect you, its an insulator. of course, if you are lobster hunting at night, your unprotected face is more likely to be low near the sand , where there are lurking, people can get shocked that way.

Scott

They are fascinating creatures. I was privileged to be diving with Scott at Point Dume when he took that photo and one of an angle shark laying in the sand about 5 feet or so from the ray.

scottfiji:
yeah, I took both. first one wat at the avalon wreck, palos verdes, 73ft. second photo was at point dume pinnacles, 58ft, bottom of the outer pinnacle.

you can see more at
http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/
just type "torpedo" into the search box

They can shock you, but neoprene should protect you, its an insulator. of course, if you are lobster hunting at night, your unprotected face is more likely to be low near the sand , where there are lurking, people can get shocked that way.

Scott
neoprene doesnt protect you,I brushed one with my fingertips on my final OW dive 3 years ago.My instructor tapped it with his knife and it swam around us slowly in a circle very close to us so (dont laugh) I reached out and brushed my fingertips on it and BAM. I didnt have a clue what it was at the time but it got me through brand new 5mm gloves, I was told they can generate as much as 90v DC and it felt like it. Lesson learned if you dont know what it is dont touch it!!!

Definitely can get you whether you are wearing neoprene or not. When I was working with the Cousteaus on the Channel Islands special in their TBS "Rediscovery of the World" series (1985), one of the divers on the Alcyone was zapped by one. He knew what it was, but being young and daring he managed to get it to the point it discharged. After that he was through with diving for a while to ensure he had recovered.

Not sure on the voltage as I've heard a number of different ratings. It also differs in different species.

The information on neoprene protecting you was from Dr. Chris Lowe, director of the Shark & Ray lab at Cal State Long Beach. However, based on these stories, I wouldn't test that theory myself!

saints fan, you touched a torpedo ray? omg ha ha ha ...sorry, I'm not laughing...ha ha ha ha

who was your OW instructor?

scott

Back
Top Bottom