P-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
How does whites install their p-valves into the suit? Do they use silicon considering they do not recommend aqua seal for their suits? Or are they using the little white rubber gaskets they use on the inflate and dump valves? Anyone have any pictures?

Reason I am asking is that I am debating installing my own p-valve in my suit. Actually what type of p-valves are you guys using? I normally use the halcyon one, but I am open for new suggestions.

Steve

There is a DIY write up on installing a pee valve into a Fusion.

I use an "H" brand valve this time and do notice that it flows better than other valves I have owned.

Yes there is a DIY for installing a p-valve into a fusion, but that is not what I am asking. I am asking what Whites does to install theirs. Just curious as to the difference is all. I resume they are using the little white gaskets they have with the dump/inflate valves.

As for the halcyon yup I have used those many times like them just curious if there is a better option out there. Or if this is still the best option.

I installed a Halcyon valve in my Fusion (but I have the old, black dry core, which I guess is different from the grey). I used Aquaseal per the Halcyon instructions. I've had no problems with it (except that the valve tends to backflow at unpredictable intervals when it's not in use and I forget to screw the cap down).

We installed one in my husband's suit using rubber gasket material on either side, and tightening the valve down on that. It worked fine.

Be VERY careful if you burn a hole in the dry core. On both suits where I have done this, I think some ember of material has landed on the suit and burned a pinhole near the hole for the valve. I initially thought both valves leaked, but in both cases, it was a tiny hole nearby. The only reason I can think of for those to exist was something I did in the burning process, as nothing sharp was used.

Sounds good, I was planning on using a punch to do the hole and try out some rubber gasket material of some sort. I am not a fan of burning holes in anything that is water proof, my luck I would but a huge hole into the suit.

Alright thanks for the advice, I will probably be doing this in the next few days. Just need to figure out what p-valve to go with.

Has anyone had any problems with the bullet skin and fraying etc, or has it held up fairly well after the skin being cut.

Steve

Hey Steve, we use two types of valves, the first one is the light monkey ultra low profile valve, for this one we punch a hole into the core and seal it with either a latex or nitrile gasket. The second one is the low profile Si-Tech valve, for this one we actually weld the valve pad to the drycore to get the correct seal.
Hope this helps Steve, if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a line.
Cheers Doug,

For the Si-tech valve, I just traced on the black core with a silver sharpie, then cut with some sharp cuticle scissors. Did not use any glue or sealant, just screwed it down hard on the core with the pad in place. I made the hole in the skin (bullet) a little small and screwed the whole thing down on that. No leaks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom