P-valve not connected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giovyledzep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My new drysuit came with a Heser p-valve. I'm not going to need it until I will start doing longer and deeper dives, but I will use my drysuit tomorrow without connecting the p-valve and I'm not clear on wether it should stay open or closed, or will have to be opened/closed during the dive.

Apparently it has an integrated balance chamber, so it's balanced even if it doesn't have the T hose configuration.
This is the manufacturer's manual where it should be explained but I don't really understand it as the english is a bit funny http://heser-backup.de/shop/pdf/PeeValve_en.pdf

Like I said I dive tomorrow so the manufacturer nor the drysuit company would get back to me in time.
Should I keep it open? Closed? Open it during ascent?

Sorry if I created a new thread in vain but I couldn't find an answer on other threads.

Thanks

I use a Light Monkey pee valve and if not connected I always keep it closed.

I use a Light Monkey pee valve and if not connected I always keep it closed.

That's what I thought too, but under 5.0.1.1.2 of the manual (which should be my situation) it says that if the valve stays closed the pressure accumulated during the dive will remain in the balance chamber and damage the valve during ascent (if I'm interpreting that correctly?). But then it says that the system is tight to the outside only as long as the valve is closed, so it would be pretty annoying to have to open the valve on ascent and risk leaks due to not having enough pressure in the chamber to keep the water out. I don't really understand...

The balance port couples the pressure in the suit with the pressure in the hose that would otherwise be connected to you. Closing the valve just seals all of that against the environment outside the suit.

The balance port couples the pressure in the suit with the pressure in the hose that would otherwise be connected to you. Closing the valve just seals all of that against the environment outside the suit.

That's what I thought, so why would they say:
"The cap must remain open when it emerges. or every 10m. Otherwise the pressure of the immersion depth remains between the sealing cap and the shield valve in the PeeValve. The shielding valve can be permanently deformed A danger occurs not because of that. The system remains continues to be tight to the outside as long as the cap re- mains closed" ... ?

From that description it sounds like the pressure of the suit at depth is trapped in the balance chamber by a non-return valve, and if it isn't purged during ascent the air expands and deforms the chamber.

That's what I thought, so why would they say:
"The cap must remain open when it emerges. or every 10m. Otherwise the pressure of the immersion depth remains between the sealing cap and the shield valve in the PeeValve. The shielding valve can be permanently deformed A danger occurs not because of that. The system remains continues to be tight to the outside as long as the cap re- mains closed" ... ?

From that description it sounds like the pressure of the suit at depth is trapped in the balance chamber by a non-return valve, and if it isn't purged during ascent the air expands and deforms the chamber.

Terrible English, for sure. My guess is that they are presuming the hose is hooked up to you during ascent—in other words, the hose (and thus the balance chamber) is capped off. If the hose is not capped off during ascent, it has no effect, as the air in the hose remains at the same pressure as the air within the suit and within the balance chamber. That’s my guess.

Be glad your p-valve came with instructions! My Light Monkey one didn’t!

Terrible English, for sure. My guess is that they are presuming the hose is hooked up to you during ascent—in other words, the hose (and thus the balance chamber) is capped off. If the hose is not capped off during ascent, it has no effect, as the air in the hose remains at the same pressure as the air within the suit and within the balance chamber. That’s my guess.

The bit I quoted is listed under "When P-valve is NOT connected to diver"
When it's connected they just recommend keeping it open as it can hurt the diver's genitals if it stays closed and the diver didn't urinate.

This is so confusing. I don't really mind having to open the valve during ascent (although it's yet another thing to worry about), but then why would they say the system is watertight only when the valve is closed? That means I have to worry about purging the remaining air in the valve AND making sure there's enough pressure so I don't get a leak, all that while not even using the valve to pee. Pretty annoying.

The bit I quoted is listed under "When P-valve is NOT connected to diver"
When it's connected they just recommend keeping it open as it can hurt the diver's genitals if it stays closed and the diver didn't urinate.

Ah. It seems I was just pointing out the obvious.

I have no idea what they mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom