P&S Camera Upgrade dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyndon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Im looking to upgrade my olympus SP-350 camera and was settled on the XZ-1 but got disappointed after discovering the Wide Angle issue the PT-050 housing....

Id like to know which camera and housing I could upgrade to considering I have a UWL-100 WA lens and dual UCL-M167 macro lens (both 67mm threads) which I want to continue using.

My choices are :

1. Stick with the Olympus XZ-1 and get another WA lens for the PT-050? which lens in that case.

2. Get the Panasonic LX5 with 10Bar housing if the UWL-100 would work ?

3. Get the Canon S95...but which housing?

I dont like Ikelite. Ive owned one housing and it was not practical.

Please help...confused :( :idk:

D@mn you olympus...:shakehead:

Well, I have an S90 in a Ike housing, a LX-5 in a 10bar, and G10 in a canon housing ...a GH-1 in a 10bar.. and several Fuji's..

Our shop is going to carry the Oly, so need to get one.

I believe... given the success of the EP series housings by oly, that you can expect a different port (evenually) for the camera.

But in the mean time, I have heard that the oly wide angle works great with it.... but it is a major chunk of glass... over 1 kg. But it seems to work.

I have the Ike W20 and an Inon wide angle, and as soon as I get one (should be in around 2 weeks), will try them...not sure how big of an issue this really is.

I do know that the Oly works at 28mm setting, which I would not expect the others to do.

Other than the wide angle concern, the case and camera are a major deal, compared to what else one can buy. The canon cases rather suck (they work though, just not that well built)...at around $800 for both, with a 67mm threaded port...not sure how one could do any better.

As soon as I get one, will test out and post images from wide angle to macro.

The G12 has real wide angle issue (due to lens movement).. do not know exactly how this compares to the Oly..but will check.

The S95 is small, has the same sensor as the G12, but it does not have as robust a focus system, nor some of the other features the bigger guys have.

I love the LX-5.. but now you are talking metal, expensive housings...it focuses faster, has better macro, and does amazingly good HD video (keep in mind the others cannot zoom and focus). Wide angle lens do work with it.

If one is going to go the higher price route.. would suggest that getting either Pany or oly evil cameras, with a housing might be the way to go.

Thank you puffer. You've pretty much summed up the ramblings in my head.:blinking:

My second option was the LX-5 with the 10Bar housing. would my lenses be usable on this rig?
What adapters would I need?

If theyre not usable, Id just go with the XZ-1 and wait for the WA lens solution to come along. This is surely a reasonably good UW setup for $800.

I dislike Canon housings too, flooded 2 powershots.

I own an Ikelite W-20 and the Inon UWL-04 and they both work on the LX-5 and the 10Bar. You have to zoom out to remove the black corners...

If you are only doing an occasional wide angle, it does a pretty good job, if you use 16 x 9, and then process with some other software than the free stuff you get with the camera (the field of view is wider)...Ends up around where a 28mm under a dome would be...

That only works with the LX-5 and its multi aspect sensor.

We know the Oly wide angle works with the Oly... and it is about the same price as the W-20....so with it, the worst case is you would need to get one (heavy, but very nice lens)...Your lens may work... so I would suggest that the $800 deal is not a bad choice....cost wise, do not think you would be any worse if you had to buy it...and if you don't, you saved a lot.

I like both camera's a lot.

Ill go with the XZ-1 and check if I can find a used Oly WA lens for the time being while we wait for a WA solution to come along. Its too good a camera to be ruined by a housing port problem.

Thanks for the confirmation puffer. much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom