OXYGEN DEMAND RESCUSCITATOR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clarkey

Registered
Reaction score
We use 3 DAN oxygen kits, but over the years have had problems with the '2nd stage' on the oxygen regulator corroding due to salt exposure. This is clearly a ridiculous design for dive equipment as even with frequent cleaning some salt exposure is inevitable in daily dive use. Does anyone know of anyone selling a design that doesn't corrode? Also, I need a replacement urgently, DAN is the cheapest at only $208 (!!!!!) but they are out of stock, the next best price I can find online is over $300. Does anyone have any tips on US based suppliers who have them at a reasonable price?

ok, so DAN has two types of O2 regulators.
One is the one you linked which is no different than any other second stage regulator. It is rather frowned upon for giving forced ventilations because it is strong enough to cause a lung over-expansion injury.
The other is the MTV-100 which is MUCH more expensive but it has a nifty thing where it will shut itself off if the backpressure gets too high. Much better for manually giving ventilations.

Personally? I don't own and don't recommend either.
If the victim is conscious, then just put a normal scuba regulator in their mouth and have them breathe.
If they aren't, or don't want to use a normal regulator then buy one of these
Home (Desktop)
and use a bag valve mask if unconscious, or a nonrebreather mask if they are.
They are about $100, and allow any bc hose to supply a bvm with a constant flow of whatever gas is in the tank. Gives you easier access to gas, because nitrox is better than air, and allows you to use any and every bottle in the area as long as it has an inflator hose. For $100 it's a no brainer to me for the versatility and you don't have a dedicated O2 kit to have to maintain and worry about limited gas.

As PADI dive centre we are required to have O2 kits on our boats, so rather than an alternative solution to that I'm just looking for a reasonably priced supplier for a replacement demand valve as DAN do not have any in stock. If anyone knows of a good supplier please let me know, especially if its not made from a material that corrodes in a salty air environment!!

you aren't going to find any better regulators than what DAN supplies. Take them apart every year and service them like you do your rental fleets and they will be fine. The RescuEAN with an O2 bottles counts as an O2 kit for reference

@tbone1004. I believe the demand valve linked by the op is not a resuscitator demand valve and as such does not supply positive pressure ventilation to victims that are not breathing. As you said, it functions similar to a standard scuba second stage in that it triggers when the user inhales but does not have the option to trigger manually so I see no way for it to cause pulmonary barotrauma.

The MTV-100 is a resuscitator demand valve so will provide positive pressure ventilations to a victim that is not breathing.

@clarkey. unfortunately no help here. A quick search for the DAN unit only showed much pricier options. I did find a similar product by O-two but again much higher priced.

I don't think you will find any unit better suited to a saltwater environment since most demand valves are designed for medical environments. And for the same reason I don't think you will find a better price.

Have you called DAN to ask about future availability or prehaps contact PADI for acceptable alternatives?

Edit...

Here are two alternative demand valves that are not resuscitators but pricier and not sure if the O2 connection is the same...

Oxygen Demand Valve | Otwo.com

FERNO2 OX-Series Inhalator, Model 302 Series

Last edited:
FWIW the O2 kits do need a regular fresh water rinse. Even so they still get surface corrosion but it's superficial.

We don't use the traditional DAN kits, the valves, hoses and masks are kept ready assembled in a pelican box. Our cylinder connections have all been modded with a DIN connector. We carry AL80 with 100% but the DIN connector allows switching to a EAN cylinder if we run out (we also carrying to yoke adapters just in case)

Our O2 1st stage also have 2 demand valves and masks connected some can service 2 divers at once

@uncfnp not sure since they only show one picture without any real information. I've seen them go both ways but see no point in either of them....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom