Oxygen analyzer - New sensor, or replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Analox O2 EII oxygen analyzer that I bought eight years ago. I haven't used it in a couple of years; today I put in a fresh battery, but the readings were all extremely low (< 1.0). So I'm going to say the sensor (which I believe was the original one) is very likely past its useful life.

I did a search on the sensor (9100-9220-9B) and find that they run about $120-$130. I'm wondering about whether to get a new sensor to see if this fixes the problem, or just get a new analyzer. (If I get a new sensor and it *doesn't* fix the problem, that wouldn't be good.)

Are there any inexpensive but reliable O2 analyzers out there I might look at in making this decision? I just use nitrox, no other mixed gases. My usage is fairly light, but I prefer to have my own analyzer rather than relying on friends or shops.

Last edited:
after 8 years, the galvanic compound in the sensor is long gone, so the new sensor will fix it.

that said, for $120 for a new sensor, what I would personally do is spend an extra $200 and get the Cootwo deluxe which will obviously give you a new sensor, but also be able to check for CO, and if you like data, log and track all of your gas analysis on your cell phone

If you are not going to use it alot i would replace the sensor
Look at DIVE GEAR EXPRESS ( PSR-11-37-52D will work in the Analox O2EII Analyzer )
give them a call its only $75

I had a sensor go bad after 2+ years. I replaced it with a backup sensor purchased @ the same time as the original sensor. It worked for a short time before going bad itself.

I did the same thing. When i got my next replacement cell i asked them about it. And was told that they only last so long once made. And best to replace every 12-14 months under heavy use and every 16-18 months for light use. They also recomended that the sensor be stored in a zip baggy with as much air taken out of the bag as posible. And store it in the refrigerator and pull it out and let it get to room temp before opening the bag and using. They said that the colder fridge temp slows down the reaction in the sensor & makes it last longer.

Thanks for the suggestions, those both sound like good options. Given my usage pattern, a $75 sensor from Dive Gear Express seemed to make sense. So I ordered one, received and installed it today, and all is well with the analyzer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom