OxyCheq Raider I vs. Dive Rite Delrin XL LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blues

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've gone through this section but could not find a specific comparison of the two backup lights. I hope I did not miss a thread on them.

I'm considering first buying my backup lights (as a new years gift to myselft :) which I can use in shallow depths and clear waters to look into some holes. When advancing into more technical levels and sophisticated diving, I plan to invest into a canister light, while also taking advantage of the technological developments in LED :D

Having read many threads on the lights below I narrowed my shopping list to these:

1. OxyCheq Raider I 3 Watt - 4.5 hours burn time
2. Dive Rite Delrin XL LED Pocket Light - 50 hours burn time
3. Intova Aluminum Waterproof Torch (4.7-watt CREE LED) - 6 hours burn time
4. IST 3 Watt Led Rechargeable Light - 1.5 hours burn time

Pricewise Raider and DiveRite is almost equal and Intova is a cheaper one but it uses atypical batteries that is not a big issue. IST is more expensive but it's a rechargable system. So, some pros and cons as usual.

I lean towards Oxycheq but on the other hand dive rite's burn time performance outweighs the others. Since I don't have any chance to compare them in real life conditions I would apreciate your comments espeacially considering brightness-burntime to ergonomical features.

Last edited:
I realize the Intova is lower on your list, but just as a point of reference ...

I own both the Intova narrow beam and the OxyCheq Raider I light.

Intova; sturdy build, very nicely machined, tough anodized finish. Double O-ring seal on the removable end cap - the head on the newer lights are "glued" on. Magnetic reed switch which some prefer for ease of one-hand activation. Some have had trouble with the outer part of the switch falling out. Intova is said to have fixed this. Uses CR123 batteries which are quite expensive unless you buy online.

The Intova beam is very even with a decent spot. The spill light is also very even without rings.

OxyCheq; quite sturdy also. machining ok, but the powdercoat finish was a disappointment. Twist to turn on is preferred by some. Double O-ring seal on the head. Generation II supposedly fixed some issues with batteries rattling around. Uses easily accessible batteries.

The OxyCheq has a very narrow beam, but the beam outline is irregular and the light in the hotspot is a bit uneven. The spill light is very uneven with pronounced rings of light and dark.

Further comparing the two - the hotspot of the OxyCheq is a bit brighter than the Intova, to my eye at least. It is also less than half the size of the Intova. Depending on your use that may be an advantage. The spill light of the Intova is very useable, whereas the OxyCheq spill is pretty much useless due to the rings.

In summary I was disappointed in the OxyCheq. It would have been a great light with a better engineered beam, and I'd prefer anodizing over powdercoat.

Henrik

James, Henrik
thanks for your comments :lotsalove:

Henrik, I was also considering Intowa but after reading the threads where people were trying to upgrade its led I had the feeling that it was not sufficient. (Here) Many people wrote that it was brilliant in terms of performance-investment, though.
Yet, your comment made me reconsider it. It has a longer burn time and other pros you've mentioned. The only drawback is the battery-factor which I find minor. But I'm curious as well about its performance with rechargable batteries. How do you use it with alkalines or rechargables?

I found a comparison of Raider with other lights on youtube, but it's done out of water which I don't find fair. (here)
So then, hmm, Intowa ascends in the list.

Comments on Dive Rite Delrin???

Have you considered our M2 led? Or how about the SLX? The SLX is not as small but it's still compact and have saved several dives for some of our tech customers whose primary HID lights have crapped out on them during the dives. Check them both out on: nocturnal lights rechargeable dive light, led dive light, lantern style dive light, canister dive light, lights, for scuba diving, technical diving, night diving, cave diving, and more.

Here's a short article on buying backup lights:

Shopping for a backup dive light? Here are a few things to consider. - Nocturnal Lights Divers' Community

Thanks for your suggestion. I was not aware of M2 Led. I liked the form factor and yet found 1 watt led a bit low profiled to the ones in my list. How would you rate the brightness compared to Oxycheq or Intowa?
Other than that the build is really impressive.

Blues; I'm using the Intova with the CR123 batteries which are lithium. I vaguely recall a discussion about using rechargables in the Intova, but don't remember what kind of battery or whether the "experiment" was successful.

As for brightness, I think the overall light output of the 2 is comparable. The OxyCheq hotspot is smaller and a bit brighter than the Intova, which is bigger and very evenly lit.

Let's know what you decide and how you like it.

Henrik

Hey, I'm planning on doing the same thing you are... buy some good tec backup lights first then get a good primary canister light later. I have a pair of UK Q40 eled Plus' and a UK C8 eled plus, but they're now on ebay and I'm having a hard time picking out some replacements.

Here's where I stand at this point:

Halcyon Scout Halogen: Available local, cheap, takes 3xCs, pretty acceptable backup light (and goes good with all of my other Halcyon Gear) and it has a few inexpensive Led upgrade options, has one o-ring

Photon Torpedo LED: Great Light, two o-rings, very popular and reliable, shipping to Canada is over $30 making it a pretty expensive light for me ($147+$30)

Oxycheq Raider I (latest revision): Seems like an awesome light and very inexpensive compared to the others. Reliability issues?

Oxycheq Raider III: Can be used as a primary light in many applications with the hand sock thing, a little pricy, rechargeable (good and bad), seems to have some reliability issues at the moment. Can serve as a back up primary down the road if you ever have issues with your future expensive can light.

Hi again... Sorry for responding late; I've been away for a little extended winter holiday. Unfortunately no diving :shakehead:

Eliminator, it's good to hear that someone else is on the same path. It makes me feel that my judgement seems OK :)

After all the valuable information regarding my concerns I tend to buy Intowa 4.7 watt.
Meanwhile I also contacted Oxycheq's local retailer here in Netherlands. Unfortunately they did not have Raider in stock but they ordered some and the price will be around 70€. I can find Intowa for 45-55 dollars. Shipping+a rechargable battery-charger kit would cost a little more than Oxycheq Raider but also for the sake of the environment I'll stand on Intova's side as one of my primary concerns was rechargability.

Henrik, thanks for your first hand exerience with Intova. It's been really helpful :lotsalove:

So let me order it and join the Intova club here :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom