Oxycheq OPV replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a cracked OPV that I need to replace. The part that cracked is the male part that fits inside the bladder. It is the one on the rear dump valve. Does anyone have any photos of how the the parts are installed?

Call Patrick at Oxycheq, he'll help you with anything you need...

Call ScubaToys - you'll have a better chance of getting assistance. They have the parts in stock (boxes of them) and can explain how to fix it. You will have to purchase a special valve tool to do the job properly.

Total cost for both the valve and the tool is less than $40

LOL, call Tobin at DSS. :)

Yep, and buy his very nicely designed OPV with the thicker pull cord and sturdy "shell" :D

Henrik

LOL. I had previously called all of the above.

Duane at Oxycheq was helpful and explained the process. He explained that I could do it myself as long as I was careful. I'm buying the OPV piece and tools from them.

Tobin also explained the process, but cautioned me and recommended I have someone install the OPV who has done it before. Every time I try to buy something from him, he usually convinces me that I might not need what I am trying to buy from him. A true man of character. I may still buy the DSS OPV if it is worth it.

ST actually told me to send the wing in and wouldn't sell me the parts, which surprised me.

I am really looking for pics, if anyone has done this before.

I may still buy the DSS OPV if it is worth it.

Some may call it an equipment solutions to a skills problem :) , but I like how I'm able to feel the thicker pull cord with dry gloves and liners.

I've rigged a standard OPV with slightly thicker cord, which was a step in the right direction, but Tobin's OPV does it right with a complete redesign.

Henrik

Thanks for Thor to post that link.

But then again the Oxycheq mach V wings seems to me to be welded instead of screwed. Now, how do I replace it?

The OPV on the wings are screwed. It is a 4 pc system - an inner plastic piece with a male thread. an envelope gasket that wraps around the bladder hole, and external piece that threads onto the inner piece (putting these together requires a special tool to hold the inner piece while you tighten the outer piece) and then the valve/spring/cover piece.

This is the same system used by several wing manufacturers (OMS, etc). You can buy a tool from Leisure Pro (OMS BC Disassembly Tool) - they are currently out of the valves (OMS Complete O.P.R. Valves). I am sure there are other sources.

Back
Top Bottom