Oxycheq Mach V Wing Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

intheair10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What dump valves does the wing incorporate? I tried a competitors wing and didn't like it that I couldn't dump air by pulling on the LP inflator. Or are most wings like this?

Most wings have a simple elbow rather than a pull dump. Some (maybe all) Dive Rite wings have a pull dump that can be changed out for the elbow. That connection is somewhat standard among the wing manufacturers so it is usually possible to swap out one style for another.

My wife still uses a pull dump (with an air2). I found the simple elbow to be less problematic and just as easy to use once you get used to it.

I'm pretty sure the Oxycheq and Dive Rite wing valves are interchangeable - at least they are on my Oxycheq and Dive Rite wings.

Diverite....Oxycheq...and Deepoutdoors wing components are all standardized/universal and can be mixed/matched between brands........however, Zeagle uses proprietary components which don't work with other brands, nor will the standardized components work with Zeagles. On my Oxycheq wings I've installed either Diverite BCD hoses with shoulder dump valves.....or Deepoutdoors BCD hoses with shoulder dump valves...no problem !

What about Deepsea Supply? Are their fitting interchangeable with Oxycheq/Diverite/Deepoutdoors or are they also proprietary?

Thanks,

Couv

What about Deepsea Supply? Are their fitting interchangeable with Oxycheq/Diverite/Deepoutdoors or are they also proprietary?

Thanks,

Couv

Thread wise, they are compatible - at least the outer connections are. Unlike Diverite and Oxycheq, it looks like DSS welds the inner connections rather than using the screw type inner and intermediate connections. What are you looking to do?

I have been looking at various BCs and couldn't help but think that the Mach V (and every other wing like it) is missing a dump valve situated over the right shoulder. Most recreational BCs and wings have more than one dump valve.

I want the option of trimming with a dump valve (either top or bottom) or using the inflator hose. As the current tech-wing design doesn't provide that option, I was thinking of using a Scubapro inflator hose with dump valve. Is this hose compatible with the OxyCheq Mach V?

Also, what length of BC hose should I use with the standard (short?) OxyCheq Mach V inflator hose?

Cheers,
Nick

Most wings don't use a shoulder dump because you don't need one, you'll be horizontal most of the time not vertical, and the lower dump works just fine. If you're vertical, say on a descent, then you can use your inflator. The philosophy of most wings is to eliminate potential failure points/complexities that you don't need

Gxtoast:
The dump valve that you can trigger by pulling your corrugated hose is not located in the hose itself, but in the "elbow" on your shoulder.

So yes you can use a Scubapro corrugated hose on a Mach V (it fits) but it won't help for what you want. The "elbow" integrating the pull-on dump valve made by Scubapro is NOT compatible with the Mach V as far as I know.

Dive Rite makes such an elbow (integrating a pull-on dump valve) and it is probably compatible with a Mach V, given Oxycheq and Dive Rite seem to use the same dealer (same threads etc) for their dump valves. But this kind of pull-on dump seems quite dangerous to me : what when you (or your buddy) ripe your corrugated hose out of your BCD by pulling too hard in an emergency ? Plus it's a complex mechanism likely to fail or break ...

Otherwise OMS 45 lbs bungeed wings have a quick dump valve located on the right shoulder.

Another option is, you keep using the BCD you're using now and you gain more experience till you feel confident even without the dump valves you're talking about :).

Thanks, guys. I am in the process of buying some gear and I was wondering how the hell, when head is higher than ass (whether a lot or little), air will escape from the upside down rear valve.

But, as a lot of people don't talk about this issue when at the same time raving about their wings, I figured it probably isn't an issue.

I'll be pairing the Mach V with a Freedom Plate. For a minute there the Scubapro Litehawk looked like an interesting option. But, couldn't get over that bulbous wing.

Dumping from inflator (actually "deflator" in that case) : (slightly) rise left shoulder, rise corrugated hose & inflator, and dump. That works if you are horizontal or head-up.

Dumping from overpressure valve : (slightly) rise your butt's left side, and dump. With a Mach V (donut shape) that works if you are horizontal or butt-up.

It's actually harder to describe it than to do it. Though practice doesn't harm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom