OW limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
If a plan holder is "only" Open Water certified, will he still be covered even if he/she had a diving accident in >18m of water? Am asking because we occasionally get divers who only have OW certifications but have several hundred dives under their weightbelts...

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in DiveAssure.
Divers who are covered under our programs are covered for diving accidents as long as they dive according to the guidelines and restrictions for their certification level. Our programs do not have any depth limits, however, in order for coverage to apply, the diver should not go deeper than he or she is certified to dive.
You are welcome to contact our support team with any questions you may have.
Toll free: +1-866-898-0921 ex.2
Info.usa@diveassure.com
Thank you.

So technically, someone who has hundreds of dives and has experience in advanced diving conditions (depths >60', night diving) but only has a PADI OW certification will not be covered by your programs if he has an accident at, say, 90'?

I apologize if it looks like I'm nitpicking. I just need a really clear answer because we run into a lot of divers who are only OW certified but are very experienced. A black & white answer from Dive Assure would show them the disadvantages of not having the appropriate certification level and the limitations of their insurance program.

Thank you!

It seemed clear, they are not covered beyond the depth restrictions for their certifications, 18m in the case of PADI OW divers.

But do not forget that an OW DIVER is certified to dive to the recognized sport diving no decompression limits. Which is 130 feet. It is RECOMMENDED that they go, depending on agency, no deeper than 60 ft for OW, 100 for AOW, and 130 with a deep specialty. The limits for training and guided dives by a professional should always be observed. But outside of those if an accident were to happen and an insurance company refuse to pay because an OW diver went to 70 feet, then I would guess even a brand new lawyer would have no trouble raking that company over the coals. Unless they specifically spell out the limits of their coverage in the policy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
But do not forget that an OK diver is certified to dive to the recognized sport diving no decompression limits. Which is 130 feet. It is RECOMMENDED that they go, depending on agency, no deeper than 60 ft for OW, 100 for AOW, and 130 with a deep specialty. The limits for training and guided dives by a professional should always be observed. But outside of those if an accident were to happen and an insurance company refuse to pay because an OW diver went to 70 feet, then I would guess even a brand new lawyer would have no trouble raking that company over the coals. Unless they specifically spell out the limits of their coverage in the policy.

This seems pretty clear: " . . . according to the guidelines and restrictions for their certification level."

An OW diver having an accident @ 120' would have no guarantee, or even an expectation of coverage.

DAN covers up to 130' on their least expensive policy and has no depth restriction on the others.

flots.

Our programs do not have any depth limits, however, in order for coverage to apply, the diver should not go deeper than he or she is certified to dive.
If you want to clear you should say ...must not go deeper than he or she is certified to dive. (should allows ambiguity)

But do not forget that an OK diver is certified to dive to the recognized sport diving no decompression limits. Which is 130 feet. It is RECOMMENDED that they go, depending on agency, no deeper than 60 ft for OW, 100 for AOW, and 130 with a deep specialty. The limits for training and guided dives by a professional should always be observed. But outside of those if an accident were to happen and an insurance company refuse to pay because an OW diver went to 70 feet, then I would guess even a brand new lawyer would have no trouble raking that company over the coals. Unless they specifically spell out the limits of their coverage in the policy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've seen that said before, but where is it written in the several agencies that a recreational diver will be certified to dive in the maximum limit for no decompression limits, that the limit is 130 feet and that the restrictions for each diving level are only recommendations?

And also, it will depend on the local diving law. Some laws state clearly that divers are only allowed to dive to their certification limit, other laws restrict divers to a certain depth independently of their certifications...

When it comes to defining a depth limit or restriction on any diver, I think it impossible. From the insurance industry side they will battle paying any claim if they can find a way. perhaps if the policy had a stated depth like the DAN policy it would be clear but that is not the norm for insurance.

In regards to what a diver is certified to do and qualified to do might not be the same, lets look at a few examples;
Diver one gets his certification by doing ocean dives to depths reaching 55ft. he takes his advanced immediately following and completes it with a total of 10 dives but has been inactive for 2 years.
Diver 2 gets his OW certification doing dives in a quarry that is 25ft deep. He ventures out diving. He spends several dive weekends out expanding his diving and going gradually deeper until he has completed 50-60 dives -several dives into the 100 ft range.
Diver 3 did the same certification program as diver 2 but was interrupted by life for a period of time but has done 4 additional dives 40-60ft
A forth diver has his deep diving specialty. He has completed 18 dives in total but he holds a deep diving specialty.
Here are 4 divers with varied experience and qualifications. but who is more qualified to do a dive into the 100-130 range? I would go with diver 2 who is only OW certified.

The reality is that a certification on its own really means the participant has completed a minimum set of requirements to achieve a pass and get a card allowing them to go forth and gain experience. Properly documenting your dives and being able to show it is more important IMO to determine your qualifications than the certification card in your wallet.
The insurance company may not see it the same way as they see the certification card a documentation of ability (a clearly defined set of minimum requirements) going beyond what you are certified to do is likely deemed exceeding your qualifications. In my opinion certification and experience are both required to determine what a diver is qualified to do. but that is only my opinion.

Damn. I guess yes-or-no answers aren't to be expected when insurance claims are involved...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom