OW Instructor Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JP11283

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm recently certified and will be moving back down to the Tampa area in a few weeks. My dad, who lives in the area, is interested in getting certified. I'm looking for some recommendations for OW instructors around Tampa that you have had a good experience with. Thanks!

What kind of course are you looking for. A quick one or one that will guarantee your dad will be capable of planning, executing, and returning safely from with you as soon as his card is handed to him. But that is assuming you are at that level yourself. You should be anyway or you got shortchanged. There are good instructors in every agency. There are also agencies that tend to have more good ones than bad. Read the stickie in the New Divers forum here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

Then read this one:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Then start making calls. Ask if you can come and watch a class, watch a pool session, get references from former students, all of these should be welcome by any potential instructor. If not you have to wonder why. If you would like the contact info for an instructor who teaches a skills and education based course and will not rush him through or give him a card until he is thoroughly comfortable in the water, has decent buoyancy skills, and is a safe, skilled, and competent OW diver shoot me a PM and I'll give you some info.

OK. Now that you have been lectured...... depending on the area of Tampa you are in and the agency you want to go through I have a couple recommendations. In the TempleTerrace area there is Bert at Tampa Adventure Sports. In the Brandon Valrico area I say go through Scuba Quest. In the Town and Country area you can go to Calypso Divers or Dave Soskins at Divers Supply. I have spent a considerable amount of time in the water with all of them in classes and just doing fun dives except Calypso. They all have great reputations and do a very good job at training students. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Everyone here is more than willing to help out newbies as much as possible.

You can also check out Depth Perception Dive Center in Brandon.We are a NAUI/PADI facility,and offer a full line of courses that range from OW to full Cave, and everything in between. I would be happy to show you through the shop and introduce you to the shop staff and owner. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me here on the board. For the record, I am a Staff Instructor at Depth Perception. Safe diving. :palmtree: Bob

My recommendation would be with Brandon at Brandon Scuba Quest in Brandon on hwy 60. He always seems to be going the extra distance to make every experience with his shop an awesome one! This includes special offers making the sport easier to get started.
His number is: 813-654-8027. For the record, I am just a satisified customer. (not affiliated with the shop)

I did take a class with Depth Perception Dive Center too. It was extremely informative. Scott McLean knows his stuff forward AND backward. Very informative.

Last edited:
You can also check out Depth Perception Dive Center in Brandon.We are a NAUI/PADI facility,and offer a full line of courses that range from OW to full Cave, and everything in between. I would be happy to show you through the shop and introduce you to the shop staff and owner. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me here on the board. For the record, I am a Staff Instructor at Depth Perception. Safe diving. :palmtree: Bob

Excellent place to learn to dive....!!!!:D

JP11283, Hope you have found what you are looking for. You've gotten some fantastic recommendations.

If you're interested on going south of Tampa for instruction Florida Underwatersports Florida Underwater Sports - Scuba Diving in Sarasota! is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center w/ a can- do attitiude that can instruct around your schedule or offer private instruction. They also specialize in ScubaPro equipment and service. Carl and Greg are top notch instructors.

I've heard that all posted above are good [although i've done all my training at Narcosis Scuba in Tarpon Springs] They were great and I liked that they have there own boat. They are a PADI shop not sure if that matters. Give Capt Joyce a call she's a doll.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom